Too many background process in Windows 10, how to get rid?

mohammed.nihal7

Reputable
Jan 13, 2018
Hello there, I've found a weird problem with my windows 10 after updating my PC from Win7, my computer was hella fast on windows 7 and once I updated to Win10, it started getting LAGGY as hell and DISK is always at 100%. Please help me get rid of these background process as there is TOOO many of them, windows 7 had like 10-12 max background. I clean formated my PC and I'm running above 25+ processes and although I reinstalled windows, it takes like 1 or 2 second to quick open a folder etc. Please help me. Thank you.

Solution
the hdd maxing out is normal as MS has to index it all ans scan it all to upload to its servers. only choice is to let it run overnight and hopefully it finishes whatever it is doing so you can actually use the pc. keep in mind win 10 is basically spyware now and it'll take over your pc as often as it likes in order to upload anything and everything about you it can. you matter not anymore and a win 10 pc is not your pc anymore. it is a device for MS to gather as much data on you as possible to sell. they're just nice enough to let you pay for it so they can make money off of you.......

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
start with autoruns and start disabling start-up items you don't need. there are a ton of things running you don't even realize are. that's a good start.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

be sure to save the profile it creates so you can run it again the next time it updates. the update will undo your changes every time. MS does not want you changing anything so it puts it back as often as it can.

mohammed.nihal7

Reputable
Jan 13, 2018

Ive used windows 10 for 3 months straight, it was hella laggy n kept getting worst, then I re installed it n still the same problem

mohammed.nihal7

Reputable
Jan 13, 2018

Thank you for your reply. I disabled start up items in task manager but I have no idea what all apps I can disable, is there any list that I can disable and not cause any problems or system errors ?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
autoruns shows apps, services and a host of other things running at start-up. you can turn off just about everything you recognize. there is a ton of edge, office, and other things you know that run. you can turn off all that. the less running the better. few things do you really need running right away. things like AV is about all i let run at start-up

as for services here is a good source for what can and can't be disabled. he does all the leg work and testing for us :D

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

been following this guys advice for years and trust his work as do many many people.

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows 10 also gives every process a service host. of its own. In the past windows used to group services into categories and all the processes would fit into about 7 or so. Now it may look like you have more but they just been removed from the groups. Groups still exist but the most you find in one now is 4 processes.

It is designed to make it easier to find problems.

That is for Microsoft processes, other applications may still have lots under them, like Chrome.

mohammed.nihal7

Reputable
Jan 13, 2018
Thank you for yor replies guys! Okay so basically I reinstalled my windows 7 and installed apps like Sony Vegas etc etc and the PC is running buttery smooth with no problems at ALL. Then I re installed my windows 10 again and even without installing any applications, disk percentage goes up to 100% if I open any applications or even normal usage like openning folders and kinda slow n feels laggy, how do I fix this? I need Windows 10 only so I can play Forza on it, but meh its really laggy. Any help?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the hdd maxing out is normal as MS has to index it all ans scan it all to upload to its servers. only choice is to let it run overnight and hopefully it finishes whatever it is doing so you can actually use the pc. keep in mind win 10 is basically spyware now and it'll take over your pc as often as it likes in order to upload anything and everything about you it can. you matter not anymore and a win 10 pc is not your pc anymore. it is a device for MS to gather as much data on you as possible to sell. they're just nice enough to let you pay for it so they can make money off of you.......

Solution

TRENDING THREADS