Windows start menu and Settings menu stopped working

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Something has gone terribly wrong with my Windows 10 Pro installation. I remember there was a small windows update right after I installed a new graphics card. Ever since, my windows start menu and Windows settings will no longer pull up.

I can't even pull up the context menu by right clicking on the Windows Logo. Any menu associated with the the settings menu is disabled. Example; if I try to right click on empty space on my desktop and select either "personalize" or "display settings" I get an error message that reads:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action"

I attempted a driver reinstall which did not resolve the issue. I also tried performing a system restore, but it fails regardless of which date I try to restore the system too. An SFC /Scannow command also won't work. I get a message saying that the "windows resource was unable to launch the service".

I was able to reinstall all windows aps via the following command via powershell:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I restarted the PC afterwards, but the issue persisted.

Lastly, I tried a system refresh, but after reaching only 1% I get an unhelpful message indicating that the refresh was unable to complete.

I'm probably going to have to do a clean install, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Specs:

AMD FX-8300
8GB DDR3
AMD RX 480 8GB
WD 1TB HDD
Windows 10 Pro

TRENDING THREADS