No commands work

Mar 16, 2018
So the weirdest thing started happening. Earlier today I was using my PC just fine, when I had to leave I shut it down as normal and when I got home and powered it on it logged on just fine, but no commands that I tried would work (Alt + TAB) (Win + X) etc. Also, the taskbar was completely unresponsive, I cant press the start button, cant open task manager, cant search anything. I really dont know what has happened. Ive restarted my PC numerous times, tried different monitor, but nothing seems to work. I cant access settings which really makes it all the more difficult. Thanks for your he

Specs
1060 3gb
8gb DDR4
i7-7700
1tb hard-drive

Solution
on the login screen, click the power button
while holding shift key down, click restart option
this will restart PC in advanced startup

Lets go to safe mode and see if same things happen
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

If it works okay here, you could just restart and see if its fixed.
Alternative is set PC up for a clean boot - follow instructions and make sure not to disable all microsoft services or it won't start right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if it works normally in a clean boot, it likely means problem is one of your...

Colif

Win 11 Master
on the login screen, click the power button
while holding shift key down, click restart option
this will restart PC in advanced startup

Lets go to safe mode and see if same things happen
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

If it works okay here, you could just restart and see if its fixed.
Alternative is set PC up for a clean boot - follow instructions and make sure not to disable all microsoft services or it won't start right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if it works normally in a clean boot, it likely means problem is one of your startup programs, slowly over a few startups restart all the services/startup programs you had disabled to find the cause.

Solution