Monitor doesn't detect GPU with dvi/hdmi cable, please help!

Doomalikaw99

Honorable
Oct 5, 2014
I currently own an old 19inch lcd monitor that only has vga and DVI-D as outputs. It served me quite nice with my onboard graphics(uhd 630) connected to the vga. But now I purchased a gtx 1050ti but couldn't afford a new monitor. I bought with it an hdmi to dvi-d cable. I plugged the hdmi input to my gpu and the dvi-d to my monitor and NO SIGNAL! I went to the bios and enabled dual monitor support( IGP+eGPU). I plugged an hdmi to hdmi cable to my tv and it worked perfectly with the gpu,then I tried the hdmi to dvi-d cable with my tv (dvi plugged into gpu) and it still worked perfectly. I then tried plugging in the hdmi directly to my onboard graphics and dvi-d still on the monitor and IT WORKED. But for some reason when I plug the hdmi end of the cable to the gpu (dvi-d plugged into monitor) IT DOESN'T WORK! No signal. Even though it works on the onboard graphics.
What am I supposed to do,I'm very frustrated and pissed :/

Solution
Normally, such converter (cable) is one-way, because there is an IC chipset inside the converter cable and the IC accepts signal from one side only.

So if HDMI (connecting gpu) ----> DVI (connecting to monitor or tv) works, DVI ---> HDMI doesn't work, vice versa.

Doomalikaw99

Honorable
Oct 5, 2014

I don't think I can get another monitor like this one . The thing that blows my mind is why does it work on the onboard graphics and not on the gpu!!

thbritto

Reputable
Aug 24, 2017
Normally, such converter (cable) is one-way, because there is an IC chipset inside the converter cable and the IC accepts signal from one side only.

So if HDMI (connecting gpu) ----> DVI (connecting to monitor or tv) works, DVI ---> HDMI doesn't work, vice versa.

Solution