PC upgrade made performance worse I7-8700K

Aug 7, 2018
I just upgraded my i5-2500K, DDR3 motherboard and 16GB RAM and my performance in games is worse. The frame rate is bad and choppy.

My new RIG is a I7-8700k 8th GEN, DDR4 motherboard and DDR4 16GB Ram, and a GTX 1060 6GB VRAM. I reinstalled windows 10 pro after this hardware upgrade and no luck.

Any help?

Aug 7, 2018
Yes I have. I installed the drives from the mother board DVD. I installed the NVIDIA drivers for my GPU. The fan for the CPU is just a stock intel. However, the tempatjres are normal. Average 30-40 C for the CPU. 45-55Cfor the GPU.

You can run a stock Intel cooler on a 8700k. It is not enough. What are your CPU load temps? They are not 30-40C. My guess is the 8700k is thermal throttling.

Download Intel XTU and Cinebench R15. Run a bench in windowed mode and watch your CPU temps in XTU. My guess is the temps are going to 100C and the CPU is downclocking to prevent damage.

Yeah, something crazy is going on. I don't know if your cooler is hooked up right. You have 100% background activity and your CPU is running at 800mhz.

Where you playing a game while you ran the bench? That may be the reason for the high background.

The 800mhz is a classic sign of thermal throttle. Either the cooler is not hooked up right, or it cant do the job (or both). The CPU performance is making everything else bad.

This probably isn't the culprit, but you really should go to the motherboards manufacturers website and get the latest drivers. 99.9% of the time, the drivers on the DVD in the box are outdated the date they shipped it. At the very least, this can help with stability. Might consider a BIOS update as well.