gaming performance lacking after fresh win 10 install

Aug 7, 2018
i previously had windows 10 installed on my pc, but i got a virus (i believe) and since its just my gaming pc and no important data was on it i just wiped it and installed a fresh copy of windows 10.

the general performance of the pc is good, no issues. but when i went to load up resident evil 7, i noticed my performance was lacking, the game was laggy and i had to turn down my settings.

before the fresh install i could play this game smoothly with no issues. my nvidia gameready driver is up to date. im not sure whats going on here?

the only difference in my new install is i chose the UEFI installation. im not exactly sure what it is to be honest, could this be causing my decrease in performance?

pc specs:

mobo: asus sabertooth z97 mark 1
CPU: i7 4790k
RAM: 16gb ddr3
GPU: gtx 780ti
SSD: 250gb + 750GB HDD

Solution
Could it be possible that something may have installed to the Hard Drive instead of the SSD? This could cause a slow down if programs are being loaded from the Hard Drive instead of the SSD. When possible, it is a good idea to temporarily remove the hard drive while windows is being installed to prevent some files from being installed on both. You could check if this is what happened. Also make sure your drivers are all up to date. Out of the box, Windows doesn't run to it's full potential due to some default settings. Do a little research online to see if there are some ways you could make your Windows run faster. There is a whole process I use to do this when I install windows 10 from scratch on other's PCs. Also how old is your PC...

mdsimmons1118

Upstanding
Aug 6, 2018
Could it be possible that something may have installed to the Hard Drive instead of the SSD? This could cause a slow down if programs are being loaded from the Hard Drive instead of the SSD. When possible, it is a good idea to temporarily remove the hard drive while windows is being installed to prevent some files from being installed on both. You could check if this is what happened. Also make sure your drivers are all up to date. Out of the box, Windows doesn't run to it's full potential due to some default settings. Do a little research online to see if there are some ways you could make your Windows run faster. There is a whole process I use to do this when I install windows 10 from scratch on other's PCs. Also how old is your PC, this may have some effect.

Solution