Windows 10 Build 1803, Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP config?

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
The internet was working last night before I shutted the comp down. But this morning upon bootup, no internet and diagnosing the problem gives me this error "Ethernet doesnt have valid IP config". How did this happen when nothing changed?

Note: All my other devices have internet without issue such as laptop and phone connected to the same network.

I tried all the following fixes
1. resetting winsock and IP in cmd prompt - no resolution
2. Updating drivers - no resolution
3. Swapping out ethernet cables and different ports on the router, and directly connecting ethernet to desktop - no resolution
4. Manually set the IP and DNS and resetting it back to auto negotiate. - no resolution
5. Powering off modem and router to reset - no resolution
6. Disabling and enabling NIC - no resolution
7. Lastly, using windows own network reset function - no resolution

I am extremely frustrated trying to fix this for good half day and still no resolution. I am at a lost on how to even fix this. For sure my NIC is working, there would be no reason to assume why it would suddenly decided to not work upon booting the comp when it worked yesterday.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I checked, lights are on and blinking so its not a hardware failure. I checked the default ipconfig in cmd prompt and it returns a default 169.254.x.x address which is windows default when it can't find DHCP.

I even tested IP 127.0.0.1 and got a return, but no return for 169.254.x.x so this is hardware proof NIC is pinging IP addresses meaning it is working.

If its not hardware or software cause i already uninstalled and updated intel onboard NIC. And it certainly isnt the router having issues when all other devices connected wireless without issues, and even tried swapping and connecting to different ethernet ports on the router.

I don't know what more i can try besides hard resetting windows hoping the issues go away due to some bad windows glitch.

TRENDING THREADS