Fresh Windows 10 Install, Not Booting at all

Aug 8, 2018
Hello,

I've just finished building my first PC and, as far as I can tell, everything works. So I use my flash drive to install windows (works the third time) and then it proceeds as normal and boots into the desktop. I start to download drivers, and then it crashes.

Since then, I haven't been able to boot into Windows 10 at all. I've done a BIOS update since then and tried to launch again but to no avail.

I'm installing Windows 10 on a Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme device. I don't know if that affects it. When I go to boot menu when starting my computer, the options are, in order,

- Windows Boot Manager (Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB)
- Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB
- Enter Setup

I'm not quite sure what's wrong with the first option, it just doesn't work. I select it, my monitor goes off and on, and then nothing happens. Here's my hardware:

- AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
- MSI X470 Gaming Plus
- Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD
and so on.

I haven't changed any options in my BIOS besides RAM stuff to get it up to 3200mhz.

I'd seriously appreciate any help, as I'm new to this so lots of things I don't understand yet. Thanks!

Solution
Boot normally. When you get to the login screen (which comes before the desktop), click the power button in the lower-right corner of the screen. While holding down Shift on your keyboard, click Restart and then release Shift.

After the reboot, you'll come to a blue help screen with several options. In Windows 8.1 select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart. For Windows 10 as of version 1803, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > See more recovery options > Startup Settings > Restart. The See more recovery options link is below the other tiles you see on the screen.

When the computer reboots and the Startup Settings menu appears, press 4 for Safe Mode. Once you've booted into Safe Mode, right-click the...

nicecoolguy25

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
1.36V is fine for a overclock, not sure the exact problem cause it has never happened to me before. Here's a list of things you can try:

clear the CMOS
reinstall windows
reinstall windows on a new 1TB hard drive instead
ask Microsoft for help

Aug 8, 2018

Thanks. I'm already planning to do some of this stuff tomorrow. Not sure what the CMOS is, but I'll do that. I plan to try installing again tomorrow from a different USB drive. If there's anything else I can do or if someone else has had this problem, please let me know. Thanks!

Aug 8, 2018

Hey, little update:
I took off all the overclocks and reset the BIOS to default settings, and turned off Legacy Mode boot options, but I'm still getting the issue: specifically, Windows 10 crashes about 5 minutes after successful installation. Even when I restarted my computer immediately after Windows 10 started up, it crashes a few minutes after I logged back in. After the crashes, whenever I try to boot from the SSD, it doesn't go into Windows 10; it doesn't do anything. Any ideas as to what I could try to diagnose the issue? To my understanding, it could be a variety of options. Thanks!

nicecoolguy25

Honorable
Feb 27, 2018
Boot normally. When you get to the login screen (which comes before the desktop), click the power button in the lower-right corner of the screen. While holding down Shift on your keyboard, click Restart and then release Shift.

After the reboot, you'll come to a blue help screen with several options. In Windows 8.1 select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart. For Windows 10 as of version 1803, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > See more recovery options > Startup Settings > Restart. The See more recovery options link is below the other tiles you see on the screen.

When the computer reboots and the Startup Settings menu appears, press 4 for Safe Mode. Once you've booted into Safe Mode, right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager. When the Task Manager opens click More details in the lower left corner, and then in the larger Task Manager window click the Startup tab.

You can tell which autoloaders are enabled by reading the "Status" column. Note which ones are enabled so that you can return to the original configuration if need be. Then single-click each enabled program and select Disabled in the lower-right corner.

When you’re done, reboot to get out of Safe Mode. If your initial problem has gone away, bring up the Startup tab again in Task Manager and experiment. Enable and disable autoloaders, and reboot, until you find the culprit. (After you find the culprit, you’ll have to boot into Safe Mode again to disable it.) Consider whether you need this type of program—or, if you do, whether you should switch to a competitor.

Solution