Can I transfer my Windows 10 license to a new computer?

mdsimmons1118

Upstanding
Aug 6, 2018
I am getting ready to sell my old laptop and buy a new one but don't know if I would be able to move my Windows 10 Pro license to the new one.
The old laptop originally came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled so the Windows 8.1 license is OEM tied to the computer's hardware
I upgraded it to Windows 10 Home during the free upgrade period so I assume the Windows 10 Home license is also OEM and cannot be transferred.
Later I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Microsoft App Store using my Microsoft Account but the confusion starts when it says "Windows 10 Pro will be licensed to one PC, this one"
Does this mean it is not transferable?
It looks to me like the Pro license is linked to my Microsoft Account not the hardware since I installed fresh copy of Windows, which installed Home by default, and it would not let me upgrade to Pro through the store with a local account because it says I need to purchase it but it lets me download the upgrade when I sign in to Microsoft Account.
I was wondering if I could just unlink my Microsoft Account from this computer, install Windows 10 Home on the old computer being sold then use my Microsoft Account to upgrade the new computer from the OEM Home license to Pro through the store?

It would appear so.

For Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users. See https://dpcenter.microsoft.com/en/Windows/Licen...

There may be no volume requirement. That is, if you buy one OEM System Builder version of Windows 10, preinstall it on a system, and then sell that system to an unrelated end user, that seems to me to fit perfectly within the terms of Microsoft's license, even if you never do it again.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/microsofts-view-on-purchasing-windows-10-oem/40c814b7-67c4-4879-9f00-fa333717849b

mdsimmons1118

Upstanding
Aug 6, 2018

How would I know if it is OEM or Retail if it was purchased through the Microsoft Store App?

TRENDING THREADS