Barracuda Pro 10TB - Should it be this noisy?

Varza

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Bought one originally in November 2017 and immediately noticed this annoying noise when it idles.

Sounds like a distinct mechanical loading noise tick/tocking every second - I've read online it could be a header parking issue.

I ended up living with it because I was too lazy to replace because I use headphones most of the time anyway

Last couple of months the noise suddenly got louder - to the point it freaked me out the first time I heard it and I powered my PC down

Just had it replaced under RTV warranty... connected my refurbished drive a couple of hours ago.

Surprise surprise ... same noise.. every second.. when idle..

It's not as loud as the drive I replaced - but I've already emailed Seagate asking wtf.

I feel like i've blown my money away. I have 6TB & 8TB WD drives that are practically silent compared to this.

Anyone else own this drive? Do you have the same sound? Is this normal?

Varza

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
SeaTools tells me the drive is healthy... and yet still... tick tock.. tick tock... Moment I copy/paste a file on the drive - noise stops... then within 20 seconds... tick tock.. tick tock.. no new firmware and straight from the refurbishment factory. This is a really bad sign.

Varza

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

I am up to my 3rd email to support

They keep responding with generic answers that arent helpful at all

They literally ignored an email where I told them I already did all Seatools troubleshooting - they responded by telling me to troubleshoot

This is a nightmare

Sorry for this situation. Working on getting it sorted out. Can you send me via PM the case number you are working on with them?

klepp0906

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
i know this is old, but the noise is normal. disussion about it is prevalent everywhere. I bought 12 of these not long ago, and it drives me batty.

alas the solution is disabling the head parking or bust and i gotta let the drives chill out as some dont get used very often so messing with sleep or APM is probably not in my favor.