Help me optimize my system for gaming please

Aug 10, 2018
Hello everyone, so back in 2015 I bought a computer for doing mostly video editing and a little gaming on the side. As time progressed, I don't do much editing anymore and would like to focus solely on gaming. My current rig is as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme -x99
CPU: Intel Core I7 5960x (8 core hyperthreaded)
Cooling: Asetek 120mm Liquid Cooler 570LC
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws4 DDR4 2400MHZ (32GB)
GPU: Geforce Titan-Z - 12GB
512GB SSD and 6TB HD
Monitor: Asus PB287Q

With this setup I noticed when I tried Farcry 5 I was only getting like 45 fps at 1440 and had to drop down to 1080 to make it playable. Other games like Path of Exile seem to work just fine.

The first thing I can think of is the monitor doesn't have g sync and I'm handicapping myself there. I was thinking of buying a PG278QR to try gaming at 1440p with decent framerates. Would this be a good option? Is the 5960x with the titan-z capable of doing that? If not, what should I swap out? Should I get at 1080 ti and try that? A titan xp? or just get rid of the 5960x completely and start over with something like a 8700k? Thank you for your time.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A TitanZ, IIRC, is a dual-Titan core solution.
For titles where SLI support is lacking/underwhelming, the single Titan is more in GTX 1060 territory - which isn't really a 1440p card.

That being said FC5 did have some pretty solid SLI scaling at launch
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1043413/sli/far-cry-5-has-good-sli-scaling-launch-day-do-you-believe-it-/

Do you have SLI enabled in the Nvidia control panel?

FWIW, GSync could make it a smoother experience, but it's not going to outright 'fix' a (relatively) low framerate situation.

I wouldn't look to get rid of the 5960X either. While not an outright "gaming" CPU, it's a very solid performer and should be within a couple of % overall vs an 8700K in gaming.

Aug 10, 2018
Yes, the titan-z is a dual core gpu. SLI is enabled and Multi-GPU is enabled in the control panel. PhysX is on auto-select if that matters.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
FC5 scales well, from what u can find, so it's a little weird that's the title with the issue.

Yes, if you're only running a single core, you're in 1060 territory, so the single best upgrade currently is a 1080ti.