Keeping free copy of Windows 10 new motherboard/cpu

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, I’ve recently upgraded my cpu and motherboard, but I’m unable to get past bios on my current copy of Windows 10 pro, I loose signal to the screen as soon as I get past the bios. I only have Windows 7 pro on disk so I don’t think I’ll be able to reinstall windows 10 if I revert back to 7... I’m just looking for any helpful advice on the matter, ideally I’d like to keep Windows 10 I just can’t get my head round how to achieve this.
I’ve linked my digital licence to my Microsoft account but I don’t know if this will help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Solution
How far do you get during boot? Do you see the Windows logo?
Even if you were able to boot into Windows 10 it will be deactivated, since you changed the motherboard.
You could head to Microsoft website and download and run the media creation tool. You will need a flash drive with at least 8GB capacity.
During Windows 10 installation, skip the step where you are asked to enter a product code.
If you want to keep programs and files, you could install back Windows 10 by performing a repair using the same USB drive with a Windows 10 installation media.

How far do you get during boot? Do you see the Windows logo?
Even if you were able to boot into Windows 10 it will be deactivated, since you changed the motherboard.
You could head to Microsoft website and download and run the media creation tool. You will need a flash drive with at least 8GB capacity.
During Windows 10 installation, skip the step where you are asked to enter a product code.
If you want to keep programs and files, you could install back Windows 10 by performing a repair using the same USB drive with a Windows 10 installation media.

Solution

cardey88

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2013
Hi, thanks for the advice but I eventually got it up and running by doing pretty much what you've said. My only problem now is getting my DRAM to operate at full speed or near to it, but I'll start another thread for that, thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS