Is virtual 7.1 surround sound worth $45 more?

krinamite

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
I'm looking to buy a new headset and have come across two options, the HyperX Cloud Core or the HyperX Cloud II. The Cloud II comes with an in-line adapter, airplane adapter, extra earpads and bag, however, none of these really matter to me as I don't travel and I couldn't care less about the in-line adapter. The only reason I would see myself buying the Cloud II instead would be for the Surround Sound. Which leads me to my question; is surround sound even worth it, especially since it's virtual? I play mostly competitive games like Overwatch but sometimes I like to play games such as the Witcher 3 and I want to enjoy the music in that. I don't think there is a difference in quality between the two headsets and I don't mind paying $45 more for the Cloud II's virtual surround sound if it's worth it.

I like to listen to music too, I've heard open ear headphones are good but the ones I find either look too sketchy or too expensive if anyone has another pair of headphones they think I would like then please link them.

Review:

Play competitive games mainly and I sometimes play singleplayer games where I want to enjoy the music.

I also like listening to Spotify when I play my Overwatch.

Price cap: $150

Any help is appreciated!

Definitely not. I have owned two 7.1 virtual surround headsets in the past and currently own a HyperX Cloud (original)...

I use Razers FREE Surround software you can download onto your computer. It is just as good as all the virtual surround headsets I've tried, basically it turns any headset into a virtual 7.1 surround headset.

I've been using it for years and it has been very good!! Definitely put that $45 into a higher quality headset or something else.