Asus ROG PQ278Q max 85hz problem

Aug 12, 2018
Hello, I have recently bought a ROG Swift PG278Q (144HZ) 1440p monitor. I bought it used from someone, and when testing it out on their computer everything was fine.

Plugging it into my computer however, I am only able to have 85hz as max refresh rate.

I have used the windows display, and Nvidia display options which the highest settings are 85hz. As well on the monitor menue information, 85HZ is said to be max refresh rate.

I have a GTX 1080 and am using a display port connector.

What I’m thinkin is a possible driver issue? I had no original CD. The monitor on device manager was “generic” before I installed drivers manually. The drivers installed manually were from the asus website but only listed under windows 8 (there are no windows 10 drivers available).

Anybody have any suggestions it would be appreciated, thanks!

Solution
You said you have a certified cable.

Have you reset defaults in the system settings ?

Here are the listed operating freq
2560x1440 85Hz
2560x1440 100Hz
2560x1440 120Hz
2560x1440 144Hz

Without a windows 10 driver, you may be stuck. But at least 85 is a number the monitor is supposed to run under some circumstances and not a fudge
This means the system has detected that your DisplayPort cable is not capable of handling HBR2 speeds. In that case, it will restrict speeds to HBR mode, which has a maximum of 85 Hz at 1440p.

Are you using the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor? If not, use that one. If you purchased a third-party cables, be aware that longer cables are less likely to handle high speeds. You need to get a cable that has been certified by VESA, the creators of the DisplayPort standard. Not all cables on the market have gone through the certification process.

See section 3.3 here for further detail: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3675170/connect-120-display-construction.html

Aug 12, 2018
I had read some threads relating to the cables. I am using the one the seller had with the monitor. I am unsure if this is the one that came in the box.. was not branded “asus” I can’t remember the brand off hand. I will pick up a new one from Best Buy to test out and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll post if it works or not.

Aug 12, 2018
So I went to Best Buy and bought the only available cable it says it’s high definition and 4K capable but really no other information on the box. Anyway no change at all same issues still I noticed that in windows selecting resolution it’s all labeled as 32 bit should be 64?

Or any other ideas?

Ps. I have a new DP cable on the was that is 1.4 and Versa certified.

Well, I doubt cables from Best Buy would be certified, honestly :p

"32 bit" is the color depth, which is 8 bits per channel (red, green, and blue) with an additional 8 bits for alpha channel in software. It doesn't have anything to do with the bits of the operating system.

Aug 12, 2018
Well... after the third cable attempt, no change... I bought a specific "Vesa certified" cable:
(1.4/HBR3 Cable DP 1.4 8K 60Hz - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076D6GGG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as well as another one of amazon and the best by one.

So ive run out of ideas at this point. I have also attempted to set a custom resolution, and anything over 90hmz, the screen goes black and says "No connection" or "out of range".

NVIDIA drivers have been re installed (Fresh install) multiple times. One thing I notices wit the cables is that some of the display ports did not work depending on the display port cord.. so i dunno possibly a graphics card issue?

You may try unplugging the monitor from power for a minute, sometimes they need to reset to properly detect changes in the maximum capabilities.

Aug 12, 2018
Worked!
Seems at though yes it was the type of DP cord, then the unplug of the monitor for a minute reset it and 144hz was available to select, and works.
I had issues with the screen going black after selecting 144 at first, but after a couple unplugs it all seems to be working fine now, Thank you so much

Glad to hear :)

Aug 12, 2018
Well i think i close to back to square one again.... the next time firing up the monitor, back to 85Hz, even after multiple attempts of what made it work the one and only time, ive got to be missing something here or else something is defective.

You said you have a certified cable.

Have you reset defaults in the system settings ?

Here are the listed operating freq
2560x1440 85Hz
2560x1440 100Hz
2560x1440 120Hz
2560x1440 144Hz

Without a windows 10 driver, you may be stuck. But at least 85 is a number the monitor is supposed to run under some circumstances and not a fudge

Solution

pablo1505

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Hey! were you able to solve your problem? Mine didn't come with the original displayport cable so i'm thinking maybe my issue has to do with that. Please let me know what you found out!

Aug 12, 2018

So kinda, but kinda not hahah. After weeks of buying new cords and messing around with the setting I just gave up. I went on using the original cord I got with the monitor. I think I had to trade ports a couple times as it would flash black on occasion. Anyways, about a month later I decided to check for the hell of it.... and boom it’s been running at 144hz since I checked. So no idea why it’s working now.