Video Card considerations

Aug 14, 2018
This may be a dumb question, but I am building my new computer and going to build a loop for the first time. I currently have a GTX 980TI and I am going to order the new NVIDIA card as soon as they are available. Should i run everything air cooled until i get the new video card and then start building the loop? If i build the loop now with my 980TI would i just be able to drop in the new card with the same water block or do you usually have to get a new block and change pipe placement?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You *could* run a loop with just the CPU initially, but I would run air for now, until you have your settled components.

Blocks can sometimes be interchangeable with some cards/chips, but generally not cross-generation.
It's pretty unlikely a 980TI block will fit an 11xx series card, at least not without modding/brackets etc.

Best to wait, and buy what you need.

Aug 14, 2018

Thank you for the advice, I was assuming that would be the case but figured I would ask people that have experience and know what they are doing. I will just run air for now, gather more ideas and work on my design until i get the new card.