Three questions about a blue light filter and what my monitor already has.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I have an Asus ROG PG279Q monitor and it has a "blue light filter" setting in the menu but I'm not sure if it actually stops light in the 380 to 460ish nm range that real filters do or if it just yellows the image reducing the amount of blue light put out, but you still get 380 to 460 nm light?

Also, I wondered if anyone had any experience with this brand of blue light filters that go over the front of the monitor?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B06XXTY2FR

Lastly, is it possible to make a colour profile that compensates (even partly) for the change in hue caused by blue light filters?

My other concern on top of colour is the glare that this filter apparently allows. :(

Thanks

Solution
Actually I'll have to get back to you on that one. I've asked Asus if their filter actually blocks the blue light range that hurts your ability to sleep or if it just yellows the display, or does either do the same thing. It is the white LED background lighting that apparently is the source of most of the bad blue light these days. I'm looking into this because I tried a pair of prescription glasses with a blue light filter and unfortunately, despite the claims of the optometrists office, they did effect the hue of colors, warming them a bit. The company that makes this screen states that it doesn't effect colour, just drops the brightness a little bit, which I can compensate for by simply upping the brightness on my monitor.

This is...

Lutfij

Titan
In this day and age, I wouldn't stick a filter/screen on top of a screen like we did back when we used to work with CRT display's. You're good to go with the display's built in feature for light filtration. You should be able to calibrate the colors on your screen after going into the OSD options on the screen. Same goes towards changing the color in your manufacturer's GPU control app.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Actually I'll have to get back to you on that one. I've asked Asus if their filter actually blocks the blue light range that hurts your ability to sleep or if it just yellows the display, or does either do the same thing. It is the white LED background lighting that apparently is the source of most of the bad blue light these days. I'm looking into this because I tried a pair of prescription glasses with a blue light filter and unfortunately, despite the claims of the optometrists office, they did effect the hue of colors, warming them a bit. The company that makes this screen states that it doesn't effect colour, just drops the brightness a little bit, which I can compensate for by simply upping the brightness on my monitor.

This is the screen in question:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TFWZMXY/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

It has a lip at the top and just sits over the screen so it can quickly and easily be put on and taken off, which is perfect for me since I would only need it in the evening.

I've had bad insomnia for years and while there were 2 other changes made around the same time, one of these changes improved the amount of sleep that I was getting. I've now gone back to my old lenses temporarily while I try to determine which of the changes caused the improved sleep.

If my sleep goes to garbage again I'll know the filter on the lenses were helping.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS