Q6700 vs Q9650 BSEL Mod LGA775

Jul 16, 2018
So to start, I tried downloading SetFSB on my computer (HP Pavilion a6300f) and all the options are grayed out, this means it simply is not compatible with my motherboard i'm guessing for whatever reasons yes or no?

So i'm thinking the only way to overclock this computer is to use the BSEL Mod, would the Q6700 be better with the BSEL mod which I think would put it at about 3.2GHz or would the Q9650 at 3GHz be better without any overclocking there is other factors that go into the Q9650 which I didn't know if the .2GHz was worth more or less than them besides the fact the Q6700 is less than half the price. I'm thinking the Q6700 would be better but I wanted to get some professional opinions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors

Can anyone tell me will I need to upgrade from the stock cooler or should it be okay? I keep my fan speeds on 100% at all times using speedfan since I had issues with overheating in the past and it keeps everything 40C and under except the GPU which sits at about 50C and under.

Considering that it's an OEM computer, the odds are not good that you can use those CPU's. You will need to do some research and see what the motherboard is compatible with. Especially the q9650 (which is better all the way around), because of the faster FSB and change in process node.

Jul 16, 2018

I updated the BIOS and it is running fine with the Q9650 the reason i'm asking is because I would love to switch to the Q6700 if it meant cheaper price and better performance. But you say the Q9650 is way better all around huh if that's the case the only other close competitors would be QX9650 and QX6850 I don't think they'll make a huge difference though considering I won't be able to overclock it any more. Can you comment on SetFSB or any other form of overclocking being able to be used in this computer or not?

Compare:
https://ark.intel.com/compare/30789,33921,30790,35428

The qx9650 seems to be an older version of the q9650, but the 9650 has some added instructions and the 9650 is a lower wattage part, so probably will OC better.

As for OC, I haven't used those utilities, always did it through the BIOS. However, I don't think you will get far with the stock cooler, they weren't really meant for overclocking. If you have a decent sized case, you can't probably fit a mice cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212evo.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFFH7KA0833&cm_re=coolermaster_212_evo-_-35-103-099-_-Product
The heihgt might be an issue though, so you will need to check that.

Jul 16, 2018

Oh yeah you're right the QX9650 is older interesting, however the QX9650 main difference is its multiplier is unlocked so from what I understand allows you to overclock higher or without limits? Not too sure. I would like to know if that means the Q9650 can't be overclocked through BIOS or what, cause isn't BIOS overclocking by increasing the multiplier? Yeah i'll check into that i'm trying to find out if the SetFSB or other way of overclocking is even possible on this system first though.

The main difference I see is the higher wattage on the QX, which I'd think would reduce OC headroom or at least generate more heat, faster. I was able to OC my q9550 easily, nothing locked, but I had a aftermarket motherboard, in my case a MSI P35 Platinum. I got my q9550 to 3.5ghz stable, going to 3.6 would have taken more voltage than I was comfortable with. But yeah, I increased the multiplier in the BIOS and set the RAM too a ratio to keep it in spec.

I don'y know of any OEM's that allow customers to OC in the BIOS.

Jul 16, 2018

yeah makes sense that it would generate more heat by higher wattage, but it doesn't make sense why it's considered unlocked multiplier and 'extreme' making it be perceived to be better yet its older i'm looking into getting a P45 as well but I really wanted to try and still get this system as much juice as it can for what it is

It was probably considered "extreme" at the time of release, but a year later and it's just top of the stack and a bit more refined. As the 45nm process matured, they were getting better yields, so they were able to tweak a few things for efficiency and add some instructions.

Really depends on how much money you want to put into the platform, but if you want all it can be, get a motherboard that is socket 775 with DDR3. I believe the X48 chipset was the fastest they offered before the went to the 1st gen Core i series.