Odd Ball Sony Professional Plasma overscan issue

ken h

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I've got a Sony PFM42-B1. It's a professional display plasma with native panel resolution of 1024x1024 in a 16:9 AR. It has VGA and component video in; no DVI or HDMI or DisplayPort. It will accept 1080i and 720p video, and up to 1600x1200 PC resolutions.

The PC is a Windows 7 used exclusively for Windows Media Center, a Dell Optiplex 740 SFF desktop with Phenom XII, 8GB of RAM, and AMD R7 240 graphics card which has HDMI, DVI, and VGA output. Current version of Catalyst Software is installed.

When using VGA, the Sony and the PC wont do the video resolutions; it only offers the PC resolutions which aren't 16:9 and when creating a custom video 16:9 resolution the display won't auto lock.

So now I'm using an active DVI to component video adapter, which works but there is overscan. Catalyst does not have any way to adjust for overscan that I can find. And I tried using a custom resolution but the Sony would not auto lock again.

Any ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ken h : "Odd ball Sony Display Plasma wont play nice with R7 240"

Lutfij

Titan
1| It's advised you wait for a response. Opening a thread of similar nature across the forums will only lead to confusion.
2| Have you tried working with an older driver revision?
3| Mind sharing the make/model of your composite box/cable/splitter? A link would also help.
4| On your display, are you on NTSC or PAL?
5| Might want to also read through this.

ken h

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008

Thank you for the kind and professional reply.
1) I first posted in Graphics Cards, didn't get a reply, and the topic dropped to the 3rd page. I thought why not try another forum. But, I fully understand your point and going forward will cooperate with forum protocol.
2) No, but I'm pretty sure a previous driver would not fix the issue. It's all in the software controlling the driver. A previous version of Catalyst might work but that might be incompatible with current hardware, software, and firmware. And I'd have no idea where to find it and if it would be safe to download.
3) The signal source is a Windows PC running Windows Media Center. The output can be what ever the PC is capable of. The convertor box was made in Korea for a US company called TouchTunes. http://productwarranty.touchtunes.com/download/attachments/1573135/900420-001-Barfly%20HDMI-DVI%20to%20Component%20Video%20Converter%20Installation%20and%20Setup%20Guide-R01.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1374000479000&api=v2
4) The display is for North American markets, so NTSC/ATSC, and I'm giving it an ATSC signal.
5) Yes, I found that topic before posting but it's about 9 years old and the Catalyst interface and settings have changed. I was hoping someone would be familiar with the current version of Catalyst and have a simple answer. Oh well, I'm a perfectionist and will keep looking for a solution.

Thank you again.