Buying advice: own 60hz, can't decide between 144 or 240

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Hello all,

I've been gaming on a 22" 1680 x 1050 60hz monitor since 2007, and I want to upgrade to higher hz.
I'm debating between a 144hz or a 240hz display. More specifically I'm looking into the BenQ Zowie XL2430 or the XL2546 (but I'm open to suggestions).

I've read (and heard) all over about the big difference you feel when you switch from 60hz to 144hz, so if I switch from 60 to 240 I imagine it would be even more impressive right, or is it more or less the same?

The thing is i don't play CS, nor will I play it. I'm 80% of the time playing Battefield, with the remaining 20% playing games like Assassins Creed, GTA's, some racing games, Hitman and the likes. Also I do some very light photo editing ocasionally.
And from what I've read, the Zowie XL2546 would be ideal for esports such as CS or Quake, so I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right option here, just curious about 240hz + DyAC tech.

I've never owned an IPS monitor but I wouldn't want to sacrifice responsiveness just to have a slight "better" color accuracy.

My current 60hz monitor is a Samsung 226CW in case you want to know. Therefore I've never owned a somewhat "modern" TN monitor so I don't know what to expect in regard to color accuracy compared to my Samsung.

Back then when I bought my monitor, it was supposed to have a color gamut of 97% and I still think it looks pretty decent color wise. But I've read so many people complain about "TN colours" that I wonder if I'll feel it like a downgrade if I buy any of the current 144 or 240hz options (no matter which brand we're talking).

I'd like some advice please, to figure out if it's worth buying a 240hz monitor for my PC use, or if a 144 would be enough.
Currently I probably won't be able to reach much more than 144 (at least not in BF1 I suppose), but I plan on upgrading to a newer Nvidia GPU.

PC specs: 6700k
16 GB
1060 6Gb

Thank you for your time!

There are two reasons to upgrade the monitor to 144 hz (or above). The first is the "smooth as ice" updating of the mouse pointer. If you have tried a 144 Hz monitor, you will know what I'm referring to. The other reason is reduced video tearing. If you have a system that generates more than 60 FPS (depending upon the monitor) you may be more likely to have video tearing. With a 144 Hz monitor, you raise that threshold to 144 FPS.

I am quite happy with my 144 Hz monitor, I don't see any reason to upgrade to 240Hz. I don't see tearing above the 144 FPS either.

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

So far I'd say I don't usually feel tearing with my current monitor, it's just not something I'm distracted by, even though I do have tearing (I've seen it).
From what I've read, higher hz monitors would make tearing less noticeable, right?

I've never tried or seen a 144hz monitor in person so I don't know what to expect although everything would be positives apparently. I do remember that before my current monitor I had a CRT, and when I switched to this it was difficult to get used to and had headaches for a while. My CRT felt very smooth and didn't gave me headaches.

Of course my reason to upgrade to a higher hz monitor is that "smooth" feeling, specially when playing FPS like Battlefield or similar.

BTW, which 144hz monitor do you have?

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Quite unhelpful reply, might as well not reply at all if that's all you have to say?
If I wanted 75hz I'd keep my current monitor which I have oc'd to 75 already, but that's NOT the point of the thread now is it?. Also, I specifically said I wasn't interested in trading a slight better color accuracy for responsiveness. And from what I've heard the IPS 165hz panels are a lottery concerning QC, and also add some amount of lag, so thank you but no.

I think in most cases you will not see tearing below 144 FPS. It can still happen, that's why they are selling G-SYNC & Freesync.

Before buying one, go to an electronics store and try out one of them on display. I haven't spoken to any one that has one that is considering going back to 60 Hz.

As far as the headaches go, that was probably due to the flicker issue. Most new monitors have addressed that. But if you are sensitive to it, then look for that flicker-free statement (each manufacturer calls it something different).

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

I'd love to do that but where I live we don't have stores with monitors on display to even look at them or try them out, so I can't count on that option. I have to rely on reviews or comments from people :/

Which 144hz monitor do you have? What did you have before it?

I've had mine for several years. It is an Asus VG248QE 24" 144 Hz monitor. Actually I had a high end 20" CRT before that.
But I also had the system connected to the HDTV as well.

I still have the CRT, and it still works fine. It is just a bit dated, and it takes up way too much desk space.

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Ah ok, yes someone recommended me that Asus a few years ago I remember.

I only have my current Samsung, but I've always missed my CRT a bit TBH... mostly because it didn't made my eyes feel tired as it happens with this LCD.

I liked the CRT, but now everything pre-1080P is dated. I like the higher resolutions now. I see clips from old TV shows in SD every once in a while. Now, I wonder how we were content with that back then.

I am not sensitive to the flicker, so I can't really associate with that. But if it give you headaches then definitely look for a monitor that reduces the eye strain.

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah, watching old TV shows in SD is horrible in modern displays!

Do you have any recommendations, or what should I look for in a monitor that reduces eye strain?
FYI, I've gotten used to this LCD obviously, after using it for 11 years. But I remember the first days/weeks it was difficult to adjust.

What is your budget? The reduced eye strain is listed in the description of the monitor, but each manufacturer words it differently.

Here is a listing of 144Hz monitors (you can set the refresh rate sorting on the left).

FreeSync is for AMD cards, and G-Sync is for Nvidia cards.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100898493%20600417886&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=BESTSELLING&PageSize=36

This is a great monitor for instance. But it is also expensive. In this one, it has "ASUS Eye Care Technology".

ASUS ROG PG278QR Black 27" 1ms (GTG) 165Hz WQHD 2560x1440 NVIDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitor

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236797

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Hey, thanks for the links. Yeah the Asus PG278QR has been on my radar but the thing is right now I can't afford a 2k monitor, besides I'm not sure if I'll find that resolution+screen size a little too big for a desktop... not quite sold on it yet.

Also, my idea at the moment was to buy a 24" screen+high refresh to last me maybe 1 or 2 years tops, and later sell it when I eventually upgrade my GPU to the upcoming Nvidia generation, and then get a 2k+high refresh.

That's pretty much the reason why I'm not sure if I should spend money on a 240hz or just settle for now with a good 144hz for 1 or 2 years TBH.

EDIT: budget is around 800 USD but consider I'm not in the US and here (Argentina), a Benq XL2430 costs around that amount of money :|

Don't feel bad, my wallet would choke on that monitor too.

Here are some suggestions that are more reasonably priced.

AOC
AOC G2460FQ 24" Gaming Monitor

Acer
Acer XG270HU
Acer Predator XB241H

Asus
ROG Strix XG27VQ
MG278Q WQHD

BenQ
Zowie XL2430
ZOWIE XL XL2411P

ViewSonic