Opening up an LCD / Backlight bleed

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyhegyes17

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
Hello there!
My screen is an Asus MG279Q monitor. As probably many of you know, it is extremely rare to get your hands on a perfect IPS panel, especially from Asus. Sad, but oh well. This is my second panel. The first one I had to send back due to it's annoying stuck pixels that I couldn't stand. This one I was pleased with as it has no stuck pixels, however it has the other annoying problem, the backlight bleed. One can only wonder how is it that such expensive panels can go through quality check like this. The bleed on my panel is only in the lower corners, the upper ones are perfect.
I don't want to return this screen because I risk getting yet a worse one again. Instead, I would like to fix the backlight bleed myself, as I hear it is a possible thing to do.
Do you know about this? Do any of you own this screen?
How can I open it up and reach the panels guts? I read somewhere that some tape in the corners will seal the backlight bleed away. Is this true?

Best regards,
Andy

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I also have an IPS panel with quite significant backlight bleed, ASUS PG279Q. I have done a bit of research on DIY fix's for backlight bleed. It's possible but risky, a lot of people just manage to make it worse by say loosening or tightening bezel screws and depending on what you have to remove to get at those screws you may void the warranty. The article below has a pretty vague process for doing this if you want to try, it will likely be hard to find an in depth guide for your specific monitor.

https://www.gamingscan.com/how-to-fix-backlight-bleed/

andyhegyes17

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018

Yes, I've come across that article in the past.
I'm willing to sacrifice my warranty if I can fix the bleed.
Thanks for the answer, please kerp me posted if you decide to do something to your panel

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Just did. I believe we have pretty much the same monitor except yours has freesync instead of gsync.

I just pulled the rear bezel off of mine, the clips that hold it on were quite nerve wrecking getting unclipped. Sad to say there are no screws or anyway at all I can see to tighten or loosen the panel, it's just a plastic border with a big sheet of aluminum or something. Probably glued.

andyhegyes17

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018

Hmm, I doubt they'd glue it, as then it would be impossible to repair stuff. I think that aluminium bit comes off somehow. I remember seeing it in a video, I'll look it up. Thank you for your answer!

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I dont think they would attempt to repair anything behind that panel, the LCD liquid and gas is behind that panel I dont think it could ever be removed after assembly without destroying the monitor and putting yourself into contact with some not so nice chemicals. The circuit board is outside of the panel. But go ahead and pull yours apart if you want, there were no warranty void if removed stickers. It unclips from the front, and there is one screw in the center on the bottom of the panel. .

andyhegyes17

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
take a look at this:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/562668-back-light-bleed-why-it-actually-happens-and-how-to-fix-it/

This guy says he managed to open up his LG UM95 and fix the bleed with tape. I don't think it would be much different with the Asus, considering the technologies are virtually the same.
I don't think any gas or other chemicals would leak, as this is not an airtight thing. I will definitely try to open my panel up in the following weeks. I'll keep you posted

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

That's the video I used to tear mine down. Yes it is very similar. That panel behind the circuit board is what i'm talking about. She did not try to take it off in that video and I did not see any easy way it could be taken off. I doubt putting tape around it will do anything.

andyhegyes17

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018

I think the solution is to take the frame off and put the tape directly on the edge of the glass, as that other guy mentioned on that forum.
I'm not sure where to start, as I've never taken stuff apart and my monitor doesn't seem to have any visible screws on the back like hers did

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't, they are similar not the same. like I said above there is one screw in the bottom. Then it is clipped on from the front. The clips were a bit of a pain to get off and I had to use more force than I was necessarily comfortable with to unclip them.

How do you think you are going to get to the edge of the glass? You do not have the same monitor as the guy in that post.

A very expensive monitor is not the best place to start. if you have "never taken stuff apart". Just saying.

andyhegyes17

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
Yeah, I know. But I don't feel like I'll ever get what i want, since all IPS panels seem to be faulty. If it's not bleed, it's a stuck pixel. If it's not a stuck pixel, it's bleed. If it's not this corner, it's that. I'm just tired of it. I want to try to take it apart at least, to inspect the insides and try and see if there's anything to be done. I might film the whole thing and put it on youtube for others to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS