MBP for CS Major in college

Alex_154

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I recently bought a 2017 13.3” MBP (2.3GHz Dual-Core i5, 8GB RAM) for college and I was hoping this notebook will be good for CS, and would last at least four years. I would like to hear you thoughts.

Solution

Your electives are the only courses that might cause you grief w/ your current laptop, but I wouldn't worry about those. I'm sure your campus has desktops that you could use if you ever needed to render anything.

jdcranke07

Honorable

If you take courses that require you to use CAD, you might reconsider & get an i7 & a quadro GPU. Stay away from Apple if you plan to use CAD. Apple GPUs are GTX or AMD models & are not great for CAD.
If you won't ever use CAD, then your current laptop is more than fine.

Used to work for the OU IT Store on campus & was a CS major for a while, so I saw a lot of Engineering/Comp Sci students coming back to my store regretting that they bought into the Apple cult & not listening to us initially.

jdcranke07

Honorable

Your electives are the only courses that might cause you grief w/ your current laptop, but I wouldn't worry about those. I'm sure your campus has desktops that you could use if you ever needed to render anything.

Solution