Network file transfer

ArunprakashK

Commendable
May 29, 2016
I have two Windows Machines, One a Desktop and the other a laptop. Both of them on the latest update. Now how to transfer files between them if they are in the same network. Please help out a noob.

Solution
• They both need to be in the same workgroup.
• Press Windows-key+Pause/Break button and that will pull up the computer properties, look at the WORKGROUP on both machines to make sure they're both in the same workgroup.
• Decide which one you're going to change to match the others workgroup to by clicking on Change Settings, then click the Change button, rename the workgroup to match the other computer, click okay then reboot when prompted.
• After reboot right-click on the folder you want to share and select Share With...,click Advanced Sharing, give the share a name, select the your user as having permissions, click ok.
• On the opposite computer open Windows Explorer and in the path field type \\<computer name>\<share name> and then...

Apple Troll Master

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
• They both need to be in the same workgroup.
• Press Windows-key+Pause/Break button and that will pull up the computer properties, look at the WORKGROUP on both machines to make sure they're both in the same workgroup.
• Decide which one you're going to change to match the others workgroup to by clicking on Change Settings, then click the Change button, rename the workgroup to match the other computer, click okay then reboot when prompted.
• After reboot right-click on the folder you want to share and select Share With...,click Advanced Sharing, give the share a name, select the your user as having permissions, click ok.
• On the opposite computer open Windows Explorer and in the path field type \\<computer name>\<share name> and then hit enter.
It will prompt for a user name and password put your username and password in. Its easier if both computers have the same user and password but if the other computer is your friends then you/they should create a guest accounts for you/your friend if that is the case.

NOTE: <computer name> and <share name> is the actual name of you computer\share. Example: \\Win10PC2\My Pictures

Im doing all this from memory so if a few steps are missed I apologize. I'll check back tomorrow for any questions.

Solution

ArunprakashK

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Worked beautifully, but was only able to share an entire partition. When I right click the specific folder that I want to share, advanced sharing is no longer clickable . ✌️