What's wrong with my overclock? Pretty please, with sugar on top, I need help!

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
My specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4,0 GHz (Devils Canyon)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K, Intel Z97 Mainboard - S1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red DDR3-1600, CL9 - 8GB Kit
Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 (BK018)

I OCd my machine about a year ago to 4.5GHz. I know the OC is not really stable but since it crashes only once every few months and the temps don't go much above 80C when playing games I didn't bother. Now I want to go back into Flight Simulator (P3D v4) which is very CPU intensive it started to crash more often. I'd like to get to the bottom of it but I need help.

The main problem are temperatures. I use only 1.200V for 4.5GHz because in Flight Simulator the temps can go up to 85C and anything over 1.200V can produce temps up to 90C which is way to much. I other games like GTA V, Civ IV, NMS, etc.. temps are between 75C and 80C. The main kicker here is that stress test produce temps up to 100C in less than 5 seconds (at 1.200V! - Intel burn test, prime95) so I abort it immediately when that happens. When looking on the internet most people can go up to 1.3V and not reach those temps and with 1.200V usually they are reporting temps below 80C when doing stress test! So, there must be something wrong on my end, something's not cool, not cool at all :) I'd say "Yolanda Be Cool" but what do I know. Now I wonder is my CPU from the crappiest batch ever produced or is there something wrong with my OC? I'm not an overclocker, I got all the settings I made in the BIOS from the internet and frankly I had very little idea about what I was doing. Would any of you experts be so kind and just throw your eye on my BIOS settings linked below and look if something stands out as a bad setting that causes the CPU to run so hot or can I maybe optimize anything or in general what the heck is going on here? Any help would be much appreciated!

Dropbox folder with BIOS screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6pk78gj483rx7oi/AACb_XDsRgN5IqIxMwtghW_ga?dl=0

The 4790K DC was already overclocked out of the factory door of Intel, meaning there was really not a lot of headroom left unless you had some really good cooling and were very skilled in overclocking enough to know every tweak. I suggest you just run it stock it will then play your games problem free.

I personally do not have the time to take you by the hand and walk you down overclocking lane and no one did that for me I researched everything I know regarding overclocking.

I will give you this link to the Devils Canyon owners club where many have posted their settings they used to acheive their OCs, Good Luck to you.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1490324-intel-devil-s-canyon-owners-club.html

0Artur0

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I red a lot of overclocking instruction including that one. Thanks!
The thing is that with my cooler and volts (only 1.200V) I shouldn't be getting such high temps. I just wanted someone to take a quick look at my BIOS settings, shouldn't take more than a minute, to see if anything stands out as a no-no, that's all.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Use better quality thermal paste like AS5 < Noctua < IC D < Thermal GRIZZLY, screw down cooler tightly enough, test, if high, clock down to 4.4GHz.

Also, enable LLC (Load like calibration). Level 2-3 should be enough.

TRENDING THREADS