5g wifi not working.

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Friend of mine is having an odd issue with a pc he built. It refuses to connect to the 5g wifi. Before you ask, the wifi adapter is dual band capable. Even stranger, it 'sees' one 5g connection, but NOT the 5g connection we want. It also refuses to connect to the one it can see.

We've tried updating wifi drivers in device manager as well as manually installing the drivers. We've tried resetting the pc IP address. Tried manually connecting to the desired network. We gave up and left it for a couple weeks. Now it's having issues connecting to the internet at all. Also tried other things I can't remember. Exhausted everything on google, and we've been thorough.

One interesting thing is windows (10) seems to be booting in legacy mode for no apparent reason. Switching to UEFI and it doesn't recognize his boot drive. The boot drive is a muskin SSD that's about a year old. Maybe this is the issue? All other parts are new and modern. Could windows booting in legacy mode be the issue here? Stopping it from connecting to 5g wifi??

Basically we're planning to reinstall windows unless someone can suggest a better idea.

I don't see a connection (no pun intended) at all between legacy mode and the wifi issue.I suspect the legacy mode results from a boot disk partitioned as MBR which might also account for the unrecognized disk error when the mode is changed to UEFI. UEFI requires a GPT partitioned disk.

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

No, it cannnot. Though it somehow sees one 5g network and not another. I tried a wifi dongle with 5g and that worked so you may be right there. The dongle had abysmal speeds too though. My phone gets 100mbps+ there on wifi, the computer gets 6mbps on both 5g (dongle) and 2.4g.

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Okay so I just looked at the wifi adapter and there's nothing obvious wrong with it physically. Even if it was defective, explain the 6mbps top speed when he pays for far more and other devices work correctly? Is it worth reinstalling windows?

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Not far. And other devices work just fine on 5g in the same location. Is there anything I can try other than reinstall windows?

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Okay so I fixed the issues. Not sure exactly what did it but here goes.

Went into the wifi adapter properties and enabled 802.11d.
Changed roaming sensitivity to HIGH.
Enabled something else I forget.