Windows 10 persistent BSoD when booting or in use.

Aug 17, 2018
My Specs:
Graphics: Cuda GTX 1060
MOBO: ASUS z170-E
PSU: Seasonic G-550 Gold (550W)
HDD: (literally only for storing games): WD caviar blue 1tb
SSD: (this is my OS): WD blue 250 (WDS250G1B0A)
RAM: 2x8Gb corsair vengeance LPX
CPU: intel i5 6600K (3.50 ghz)

For quite a while now (months, at least) my PC has had some trouble booting up, and recently has started bluescreening during regular use.When I can get the PC to boot properly, it will function for a bit (probably a half hour at most) before crashing again. Other times, I can't get past the login screen. It has been doing this for a while, but it didn't start frequently and consistently bluscreening during regular use until probably yesterday. (Yeah, I know, I ignored the booting problems for months, that was dumb, but nothing was fixing it)

The BSoD's are generally one of:

Page fault in nonpaged area (most recently telling me that nvlddmkm.sys failed)
Kmode exception
irql not less or equal (normally without a "what failed" element)
Critical Structure Corruption
etc... (there are more, I'll add them if I remember)

I have ran chkdsk, tried to use a win10 repair disk, ran memtest and startup repair, defragged, done a clean install of windows, and the problem persists. Every test comes up clean. When I can get the PC to boot properly, it will function for a bit (probably a half hour at most) before crashing again. Other times, I can't get past the login screen.

When booting, the PC without fail will boot to a black screen before even reaching the bios, and I need to hold power down. If I turn it on again, it works and attempts to load windows, but will often BSoD in the process. (I turned off quick boot).

It even BSoD's on occasion when I've booted to my win10 clean install drive, so I'm gonna try reformatting that and doing another clean install, in case the windows installation on that has broken too. EDIT: Okay, so maybe something is up with the external drive I'm using, too. I reformatted it, reinstalled windows again, and it booted once, didn't detect one of my monitors for some reason, shut down, and then refused to boot again, and now I can't boot to the new install disk I created again. I'll look for another USB and try to reinstall windows again. Edit: Tried again, install threw up a 0xc0000001 error, google says it could be ram, gonna pull out my ram and see if I can isolate the problem. Edit: Played with ram, install seems to be working, if it works for long enough I'll mark this as resolved.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it must be a hardware issue, because nothing has fixed the issue after months of googling, but I'm not sure what component I should replace. Thanks in advance for help.

Not to jinx it or anything, but I got rid of one RAM stick and it seems to be working again.

P.S. Also, when trying to fix booting a couple months ago, I was able to run every command to fix my booting except one, which gave an access denied error. I followed guided to fix that, but the error didn't go away.

You got too many moving parts here. First I need clarity on the OS drive. You say that the OS drive is the WD blue 250 but then say you failed to boot windows from an external (USB ?) drive. So which is it, or are you dealing with both disks and can't succeed with either ?

The whole arrangement is too confused. You need to sort shit out, seriously. Forget about a USB drive. Disconnect it for now. Next, disconnect any other drive but a disk drive. Then reinstall windows using the guide listed at the beginning of the Windows Forum.
If that does not work, try another psu.

Aug 17, 2018

Sorry if I was unclear, I'm trying to reinstall windows from the USB drive to the HDD, and it didn't seem to be working. I moved around my RAM and now the reinstall seems to be working (for now).