Can I upgrade from Windows 7 32 bit of to windows 10 64 bit?

curtis_10

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Now that I am getting a new hard drive, I need to install a new operating system. The only disk I have on hand right now is a windows 7 os disk.

I have also a windows 10 install file on my USB flash drive. Thing is I don't believe I can boot from that directly. I believe I need to do the upgrade on an active operating system. I believe it's a 64 bit operating system that I can install.

Just wanted to ask if this would cause problems if I installed Windows 10 64 bit after I install the windows 7 32 bit so I can install from my flash drive. I am almost positive that it won't cause ant issues.

Just wanted to hear any opinions on whether or not this is the best approach.

Solution
Why do you think you need to do an upgrade on an active operating system? If you had a valid license key for win 7 and upgraded to windows 10 (even the free upgrade), your old win7 license will still work with a fresh 10 install. Also I'm assuming there a reason you were running 32bit before? Can your PC run 64bit?

(This is a copy & paste)
To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button The Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and...

USAFRet

Titan

32bit to 64bit is a full wipe and reinstall. Not an "upgrade". No matter which Windows OS it is.

Why do you believe you can't boot directly from your Win 10 USB?

curtis_10

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I don't necessarily fully know, but I do know that I have tried doing the install directly to boot USB. And I have messed up every time. Basically yes I was trying to say, install Windows 10. My plan was to use my windows 7 32 bit disk, then after that is installed. Install Windows 10. Basically a full wipe and reload.

What do you think?

USAFRet

Titan

Then your Win 7 32bit disk is of no consequence.

Do you have a valid license key for either Win 7 or Win 10?

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Why do you think you need to do an upgrade on an active operating system? If you had a valid license key for win 7 and upgraded to windows 10 (even the free upgrade), your old win7 license will still work with a fresh 10 install. Also I'm assuming there a reason you were running 32bit before? Can your PC run 64bit?

(This is a copy & paste)
To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button The Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.
Click View and print detailed performance and system information.
In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type, and whether or not you can run a 64-bit version of Windows under 64-bit capable. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)

Solution