Can someone explain what g-sync does?

RhinoTV

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
Okay so i've learned that with g-sync its used with a nvidia gpu. Thats fine as i have a 1080. So i bought this very expensive monitor (Acer 27 inch Predator XB1) and this does come with g-sync but i was thinking. If i were to return it and get 2 144hz monitor 27 inch monitors WITHOUT g-sync what would it do?? I just want to see if its worth it and then understand what gsync is.

Thanks a lot

Basically G-Sync has the same purpose as your regular V-Sync: to eliminate screen tearing when the refresh rate of your monitor (e.g. 60Hz, 75Hz, 144Hz, etc.) is not in sync with the graphics output rate (frames per second or "fps"), i.e., your GPU is outputting more frames (fps) than what the monitor can only show (refresh).

The difference is: V-Sync forces the frame rate output of your GPU to coincide with your monitor's refresh rate; G-Sync adjusts your monitor's refresh rate to what your GPU can output.

RhinoTV

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
oh right okay thanks for that ! I don't really think that I have ever come across screen tearing ... What should I do then about looking at another monitor(s) ? Like im pretty sure you can't use freesync right? As thats AMD and i have a nvidia card??

On a single-monitor setup, faster frame rates (120Hz, 144Hz and up) are usually geared towards playing fast-paced and competitive games. No point having faster Hz if playing slow-paced/turn-basis or desktop use as such monitor is not maximizing its full potential. Having a dual-monitor setup with BOTH having fast refresh rates (like what you have mentioned in your opening post "2 144hz monitor 27 inch monitors WITHOUT g-sync"), is also disadvantageous as, typically, you will only use 1 monitor for gaming and the other monitor for desktop/internet/multimedia use. Gaming on 2 monitors is cumbersome as the bezels of the screen will be right smack at the middle of your viewpoint. For those builders who have money to spend, they can opt for a triple-monitor setup (1 center screen and 2 flanking/peripheral screens), but, if all monitors are high refresh rates and high resolution, you need very powerful GPUs to produce a smooth gaming experience on high fps/high settings.

Yes, FreeSync only works on AMD GPUs + Monitors supporting FreeSync; GSync only works on Nvidia GPUs + Monitors supporting GSync.

This is correct . The difference can be seen very well in an example.They each have a limit and a benefit.

Take a system where the monitor's refresh rate is 60 Hz and the GPU puts out 50 fps.We know that G-Sync adjusts a monitor's refresh rate to what the GPU can output. That means the monitor's refresh will be reduced to 50 to match the fps number.V- Sync OTOH will not be useful here.V-Sync forces the frame rate output of your GPU to coincide with your monitor's refresh rate. It cannot however increase the inherent limit of the GPU fps and so will have no effect.

Now take a system where the monitor runs at 60hz and the GPU puts out 90fps.Here V sync is useful by reducing the fps to 60 .( Not very satisfactory). G Sync will be of no assistance since it cannot increase the monitor's hz past the inherent limit of the monitor.

So V Sync reduces the fps to match the refresh rate while G Sync reduces a refresh rate to match the fps -where possible.

RhinoTV

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
Thanks for explaining that. My friend actually has this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077NM6L7J/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=AUWMZRMCN1SVB&th=1

However he also has a 1080ti?! Is he bs me or is this possible. If it is i could go with this one or the other version with only 144hz.

I was also looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075B1XCBY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Now it doesn't come with g-sync but it is 140 pounds cheaper then the current one i have and having that money would be great. Any ideas on what i should do ??

FreeSync monitors can still be used as normal monitors with NVIDIA graphics cards.

RhinoTV

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
With the one i have (asus predator xb1) it hard to explain but i no joke looks like 'Grease stains' are on the screen. Its the easiest way to explain it. Its brand new too but its just so weird looking and annoying. Also the display ( when im watching videos) looks like its 720p or something. My 1080p monitor looks better.