cant install windows 10 on usb onto a new hard drive

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
so I have a desktop computer, and I bought a brand new hard drive because it did not have one. I've installed the hard drive and when I turn on the computer nothing appears on the screen. is that supposed to happen?
And when I insert the Windows 10 USB still nothing appears on the screen. Someone, please help me.

Solution
yeah I figured it out, I downloaded the Nvidia GeForce driver and the screen fixed itself. and the Wi-Fi i figured out as well. the Wi-Fi card or what its called wasn't...
When you turn the PC on you must go into the BIOS by quickly pressing the 'delete' key really fast and many times...did you do that? when you are in BIOS, make your first boot device the USB drive and then save and restart...You should then see the Windows 10 screen pop up for you to install...

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
Thank you very much for the fast answer, but it did not work. I turned PC on while spamming the "delete" button on my keyboard. I then tried it with the windows USB inserted and it didn't work.

let me just tell the situation: I have a PC, I bought a new hard drive because it didn't have one. there's nothing on the hard drive and therefore nothing is showing up on the screen. is that correct? And now I've bought Windows 10 Home and it comes on a USB. - So I then tried turning the pc on with the USB inserted, but there's still nothing showing up in the screen. I did what vMax suggested but nothing happened, maybe it is because the keyboard is not connected. It doesn't light up or anything when I connect it so it's hard to tell if it is connected.

Hi oliver, lets start at the beginning.

I presume you have installed the Hard Drive to a SATA connection to the motherboard, 2 connections, 1 for power and 1 for data...If you did that we then move to making sure everything else is connected, power cable, mouse and keyboard to the appropriate connections.

Now without the USB stick in the PC, when you switch on the PC, does anything light up in the computer, do fans spin?

Also please let me know what your PC is at the very least the motherboard name.

I'll let vMax take this, but no matter what, hard drive or not, when the monitor is switched on and plugged into the computer and the computer is on, you WILL see things happening, then it will say to you - no hard disk found or something similar.

If you see absolutely nothing, then something is not plugged in correctly or switched on.

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
hmmm.. But the HDMI cable is connected. The "HDMI 2" appears as an option on the screen but it says "no signal"
thanks for the answer

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
Yes, I connected the hard drive to a SATA connection. two connections, they're the same only one is small and one I bigger, with 5 cords on the biggest. is that correct? and its a long cord with multiple of these SATA connection things or adapters on it. if that matters? I do not know. and the smallest goes into the motherboard.
Everything lights up and every fan is spinning when I turn it on.
And i think its a bit outdated or OLD PC. The model is ASUS G10AC.
Chipset Type: Intel H87 Express

Hi, thanks for that, it looks right. Okay I have found your manual:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Desktop/G10AC/E8749_G10AC.pdf

Make sure your keyboard and mouse USB are connected to the highest USB ports on the IO shield at the back of the PC...The top black ones as it needs to be connected via USB 2 ports...not the bottom ones which are USB 3.

Then with everything switch of disconnect the power cord from your PC and then reconnect it, press Power button on and then hit the Delete key many times until you see the post into bios.

Let me know if this works first...also how is the graphics connected to the monitor?

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
thanks for the manual. The Keyboard and mouse connect and lights up, but still, nothing happens when I spam the "delete" key while turning it on... The graphics card is connected to the motherboard with a chip or something and two other connectors with cords. There is a HDMI input/output on the graphics card, am I supposed to insert the HDMI cable there?
I really appreciate your help, thanks again.

Yep the HDMI cable goes from your graphics card to your tv or Monitor.

Okay do me a favour and connect your graphics from the on board CPU graphics. What this means is connect your monitor to one of the ports on the back of your computer IO panel. The panel at the back where the usb ports are you should have a HDMI port and a DVI port at the back. Connect the monitor to this one and not to the GPU ports on the graphics card and try again.

Boy I need someone else to jump in just in case i am missing something...

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
Okay, so I connected the HDMI to the Graphics card instead and this menu and stuff came up on the screen. I managed to install windows, but when it is finished and restarts because it says it needs to restart, it takes me back to the 'UEFI BIOS Utility' and I don't know what to do from here...

Can you provide more information on the "menu and stuff" that comes up ? Give us the full description. There may be a "pause/break" button on the keyboard on the top right. That may delay the screen long enough to record all the messages.

OK I see you have progressed. Can you turn the computer off and restart. What happens ?

No problems there...After Windows has installed and it reboots, you must go into BIOS and change the SSD to the primary boot drive.....Right now it is going back to the USB drive and starting reinstall Windows...

When it reboots...and goes into the BIOS utllitiy go to where you can change hard drives and make your SSD the boot device and everything should work fine.

Happy we are getting there.

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
Okay... First of all, what is SSD? Solid State Drive, the hard drive? and second of all, how do I change it to the primary boot drive? it's really hard navigating on this thing, I really don't know how or what to do.

Hi Oliver....I wish I could just teleport over to you and it would be done in a minute.

Okay, The SSD just means Hard Drive...my fault as I only have SSD drives!!!

So when Windows has installed and it wants to reboot, make sure you go into the BIOS and look for somewhere where it shows you the Hard Drives and says something like first boot device, second boot device and so on. There usually is a page in the BIOS for Boot drive options.

You need to make your Hard Drive the first boot drive. Then Save and exit the BIOS...It should all work then.

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018

IT WORKED AND IM IN!:) BUT, there's another problem now... It does not use the entire screen. it's like a blank space on the corners it doesn't use. I can't figure out why. And it can't connect to wireless internet? Wi-Fi isn't in the setting. And if I search for a wireless router, my internet doesn't come up...
Problem after problem... Hahah, I'm probably the problem

No problems at all....Happyyyyyyyy. Okay as to the screen size. Have you tried right clicking with the mouse on the desktop and going to 'Display Settings' from there you should be able to choose the right resolution for your monitor. Try that first if you have not. also you need to install all the drivers for your motherboard and for your graphics card...

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
yeah I changed it to the right resolution. but it still doesn't use all of the screen. there's still a blank space around the edges. And also, I cannot connect to the wireless Wi-Fi... there is no Wi-Fi page in settings?

Okay, that sounds like the video card driver or a setting on your monitor. Try the monitor for its own controls to see if you can change it from there.

I would go to the Nvida Geforce Website and see what is the latest drive for your card. Can you tell me the name of the GPU is by installing GPUz...This will help tell me what GPU you have and the correct driver for it.

As to the Wifi, are you sure this model has built in Wifi? otherwise there are some very cheap Wireless add in cards for around $20 to 30 you can buy or even a USB Wireless adaptor...super cheap.

If you type in 'device manager' in the search box at the bottom of the Windows 10 screen it will take you to the Devices page. You will see a list of all devices. Go to Network Adaptors and let me know if you see a Wifi device in here.

also let me know if there are any warning yellow triangles against any of the devices on Device Manager...

olivermeursinge

Commendable
Aug 18, 2018
yeah I figured it out, I downloaded the Nvidia GeForce driver and the screen fixed itself. and the Wi-Fi i figured out as well. the Wi-Fi card or what its called wasn't connected properly. but when I try to connect to my Wi-Fi it says "DNS-Server does not respond" I'll just do some research and try to fix it.

Solution