Add more folders to user's folder

leobr1989

Prominent
Jul 24, 2018
Hello all,

I need a quick support. I'm sure it has been hundred times asked, but somehow I think I'm overlooking the key words to find it in google.

It's about the user's "main folder", where the folder Documents, Music, Pictures etc. are. I usually access this "main folder" through a desktop shortcut.

As I have a NVMe as my C Drive and a HD for Data, I moved all these folders inside the "main folder" to D.

But I have two extra folders on this "user's main folder", where I keep extra stuff (which I do not classify as music, pictures, documents, videos or whatever...). The problem is, once I create a folder inside the "main folder", it's automatically goes to C./Users/MyName. If I move it to D, then it disappers from the "main folder" and thus I cannot see it anymore when I double-click on the desktop shortcut.

How can I bypass it?

Thanks in advance! If it's not clear what I meant, I can provide you with pictures.

Solution
downloads is actually a library folder, I have moved it to D drive myself. Same applies to desktop

Can you show me a screen shot of this "main folder" so I know what you are talking about. (take screenshot and use an image sharing web site like imgur, show link here)

You might want to look at symbolic links - https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Colif

Win 11 Master
the folders like Documents, Music, Pictures etc are actually libraries, they are set up slightly different to normal folders in that you can change their locations and keep them in users folder as well.

Go to file explorer (Win key + E)
right click on the Libraries folder header in right column, and choose "New"
then click New Library and it will create the folder in the list, name it what you like - you can drag it up onto Quick Access if you want it there
then right click new library, choose properties
click Add to include folders in the library - Its probably easier to make the folder on D drive and then link it here after fact. Saves accidents.

leobr1989

Prominent
Jul 24, 2018
Hello Colif,
first of all, thank you very much for your attention!

Unfortunately the described solution does not fit my problem. I agree that Documents, Music and Pictures are Libraries, but it's not really about libraries that my problem is about. In the "User folder" there are also other folders that are not Libraries: Desktop, Downloads, Saved Games... So, what I would like to do is too add another one to these...

I'm starting to believe, it has to do with registry...?

Colif

Win 11 Master
downloads is actually a library folder, I have moved it to D drive myself. Same applies to desktop

Can you show me a screen shot of this "main folder" so I know what you are talking about. (take screenshot and use an image sharing web site like imgur, show link here)

You might want to look at symbolic links - https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Solution

leobr1989

Prominent
Jul 24, 2018
Thank you Colif. That solved my problem. Although I though it should be another way to do it, it seems there is not. Now I have all my folders that originally comes with Windows in the User Folder in the D drive (HDD), besides having Dropbox and two other personal folders on the D and still beeing able too see them as "almost real folders" on the User Main Folder. They have a "shortcut" symbol but unlike shortcuts, they are alphabetically sorted, as if they were real folders located at C:\Users\MyName.

Here you find a picture that ilustrates it.
https://imgur.com/a/vnM6nP6

Thank you very much.