benq t2200hd, samsung oled tv vs new monitors

hemagoku

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Ok so i have had the benq t2200hd for almost 10 years, but i switched to using the tv as monitor (samsung ku7000) since last year, it looks beautiful, but i can hardly play anything at an acceptable fps on 4k, so i usually end up playing half of my games on 1440p or 1080p.

i have been thinking and looking at monitors online for a while now, and was wondering if we are talking about picture quality of monitors these days, are they better than my old one? cuz i tried hooking it up recently, and it looked awful, even at max contrast and brightness it was so washed out and dim, it was unbearable. (not just gaming, even browsing, anything) (maybe i got too used to the tv? maybe it got bad from being unused for ~2 years?)

so ya i was wondering if new monitors look better or as good as the 4k oled tv?
the current monitor i am considering is the asus pg278qr.

note: checking the monitors in person isn't an option unfortunately

------
gtx970
i7 4790k

Solution
Whether it is better than the other or not, both are probably worse looking than the VA panel in your TV.

If you are not bothered by ghosting or smearing while gaming on your current TV, then you almost certainly don't need the very fast response times of a TN panel, which sacrifices color, contrast and viewing angle for speed.

VA panels such as S-PVA/MVA have by far the slowest response times, but have good color accuracy and viewing angles (but will color shift at different angles). They have the best contrast ratio and darkest blacks though which is probably why you like the TV image. I prefer these for reading text.

IPS is probably the best compromise for image quality because it has enough speed to prevent smearing, and colors...
Many monitors will look as good as the Samsung ku7000 because that's not an OLED but a plain LED-backlit LCD with middling image quality.

Samsung do make fabulous OLED panels but not cheaply enough to put into their consumer TVs (Planar may be using their panels though for their high-end OLED TVs).

LG make the inexpensive inkjet-printed panels used in their OLED TVs as well as Sony and Panasonic's, but the arrangement of the pixels on them makes for not-so-great text.

hemagoku

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

you think that the tn of asus pg278qr would be better than the benq t2200hd's ? on paper they are both tn, contrast 1000:1, both 8bit, asus is 50 cd/m² higher.

Whether it is better than the other or not, both are probably worse looking than the VA panel in your TV.

If you are not bothered by ghosting or smearing while gaming on your current TV, then you almost certainly don't need the very fast response times of a TN panel, which sacrifices color, contrast and viewing angle for speed.

VA panels such as S-PVA/MVA have by far the slowest response times, but have good color accuracy and viewing angles (but will color shift at different angles). They have the best contrast ratio and darkest blacks though which is probably why you like the TV image. I prefer these for reading text.

IPS is probably the best compromise for image quality because it has enough speed to prevent smearing, and colors look great from any angle. While it does tend to have gray blacks like TN and backlight bleed from the edges, it does have the best color accuracy and widest viewing angles (the contrast does shift at different angles). S-IPS, H-IPS, e-IPS, P-IPS, AHVA and Super PLS are all variants from different manufacturers, but note that e-IPS tends to be only 6-bit color. I prefer these for tasks like photo editing.

The TN panel is the only one available in very high refresh rate, but if you could game at 165Hz @ 1440p then you could also do so at 75Hz @ 4k. The PG278QR does have G-Sync though, if you have a nVidia card. Just don't expect it to look as good as your TV. You have to sit right in the center in front of those, and even then the larger screens will start to have the corners off-axis enough to notice tint and brightness/contrast shifts--which is why the curved version is better!

Solution