My galaxy S8+ is factory resetting itself, and it isn't a security feature

BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016
My samsung story: I bought the phone at launch and had no issues until i dropped the phone flat on its face on concrete and cracked the screen into oblivion. Around a third of the screen is covered by cracks and the back is shattered. Some pixels started to die but nothing seemed to lack function. Around a year later, and it reset itself at work. I get into my car and pull out my phone, and it's completely reset. Nothing was backed up, so I figured it was a one time thing (huge mistake) and backed it up just in case. I was okay for a week, until it reset itself yesterday, which brought me to the security funtion that penalized 15 failed login attempts with a reset, which i had no idea is ON BY DEFAULT. After turning that off, i got some piece of mind, until once again, today, i pull it out and it's reset. I can't constantly set up my phone and this is ridiculous. I'd love to chalk it up to the damage but it's been cracked for a year. I'm worried and confused as to why there isn't someone addressing the issue. idk how rare this is. any thoughts or help is welcome :)

Ralston18

Titan
Once the phone was damaged, its' overall integrity becomes problematic.

Day to day things and events that would have meant nothing to it now become issues. Heating, cooling, bumps, little drops, squeezing, even just touching and tapping.

Over time more damage accumulates and some component hits a threshold and bad things, e.g., resets, start happening.

Could be two or three things that separately or individually are not an issue but together ("perfect storm") the phone fails. One of those "things" may just simply be age....reaching or nearing EOL (End of Life). Likely somewhat early but again the original drop may have accelerated that.