Moving on to a new monitor

So, having been using a 21" LG monitor in wich the model I haven't the faintest clue for 7 years now, I think its time to move on... at very least I know its 1920x1080p

At first glance the obvious seemed to be a 27" 1440p with G-sync, but those are quite expensive and I'm still using a capable but obsolete hardware now. (4770k @ 4.3ghz + GTX 980 + 16GB Ram)

So far, my rig runs absolutelly anything on ultra @ 1080p, even witcher 3 with hairworks, and in that case with some non terrible FPS drops on reather seldom cases.

That being said, I considered to move on to a 27" and remain on 1080p, and skip gsync for now since this tech is so expensive that it would be a waste to not upgrade to 1440p altogether, yes, a rather temporary good-yet-simple 27" 1080p, since i plan to stick with the GTX980..

my question is... how well would 27" handle 1080p? I hear some ppl complaining about grain effect and such? I don't think i wanna try 24" since its a small step up on size, but im afraid of getting a 27" and actually get less eyecandy...

hints and tips?

Once you get above a 24" monitor, 1080p starts to look grainy as your DPI (dots per inch) goes down. Since you sit far closer to your monitor than a TV of greater size, you are able to see the individual pixels on the screen. 1440p is a good resolution as it has about 1.5x more pixels than 1080 and thus you can have a larger monitor that still looks very clean and clear.

In terms of gaming, size of the screen doesn't matter in terms of speed. Gaming on a 55" 1080p TV and a 24" 1080p monitor will have the exact same frame-rates since the resolution is the same. The only difference will be how crisp everything looks. If you sit further away from the screen then the graininess of the display will go down as it becomes harder to see the individual pixels.

if you have any kind of glasses, then 27 @ 1080p is still fine. You need to have sharp eyes to see pixels, even after work your eyes will be tired enough to blur them.
if you sit far from screen, mount it etc... take 27.
I would say 27 is fine for work at any distance, but for games.... easiest way is to go to local shop and have a look
Dell UHD for the win..

Not true. You have to put your nose right into screen to start seeing any individual pixels at 27" 1080p. Normal distance to screen should be your arms length.

I'm sitting further than my arms length and I can see them in fonts. its not pixelized, but I can see them in letters like n or ł
if you compare it with 2k screen you can tell the difference.

Interesting answers here, let me say that the 27" one that got my attention was this:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.HX1EE.027

I could get it for 999,00 in my currency, just in comparison an asus ROG with g-sync is about 3.500,00 so no sir, not yet.

regardless, I'm mostly interested in two things, 1. obviously a bigger screen, 2. gaming. I guess there's isn't much running from it in what regards getting some crisps on the fonts... but is it that bad? gaming wise, would it be worth it or nah after all? man if only i could do 1080p decently on 1440p screen while i can afford a more capable graphics card...

You can run 1080p on a 1440 screen without any problems. When you game just set the resolution to 1920x1080 instead and it will be fine. I have had to run things at lower than native resolution on my monitor, 3440x1440, due to not have a card powerful enough to run stuff at more than 1080p. Also for 1440 gaming you can run a lot of games with the GTX980 just might have to turn a few settings down to get 60+ FPS. In the long run having a 1440 or higher resolution monitor is much nicer than the 1080.

is that so? I remember when i got this 21,5 monitor... long ago, I used to use a 17" 1280x1024 I believe. I didn't knew jack about monitors back then and when i tried to play at that resolution everything was a looking a bit of a blurry washed up mess, only then i realized i 'upgraded' my resolution and also needed a graphics card upgrade to tag along.

Running things in 4:3 aspect ratio on a 16:9 monitor will cause things to look weird. Text will absolutely look a bit off on non-native resolution (I've only had that problem like when viewing web pages not in games themselves). However, the games themselves have looked just fine running at 1080p on a 3440x1440 monitor.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Rodrigodrt : "New monitor recommendations"

27" is usually considered the sweet spot for 1440p.

You don't necessarily need to be able to hit 144 fps to make a 144 Hz monitor a good idea. There aren't a lot of options between 60 Hz and 144 Hz, so even if you're in the low 100s fps a 144 Hz monitor might be best. Also, if you get a variable refresh rate monitor (i.e. G-sync), having a 144 Hz monitor allows a wide range in which variable refresh can be active.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Rodrigodrt : "Wich of these 2 monitors would you choose, and why?"

So guys, im going thru the dilemma of buying a new monitor, I'm sticking to 1080p 24" tops due to budget reasons, performance + the fact that 1080p is small for 27".

So currently i've 2 options that would be:
AOC MONITOR 24" GAMER HERO FHD 144HZ G2460PF FREESYNC
https://www.miranda.com.br/produtos/monitores/aoc-monitor-24-gamer-hero-fhd-144hz-g2460pf-freesync/16352/

or

ACER MONITOR 23.6" GAMER FHD CURVO ED242QR FREESYNC
https://www.miranda.com.br/produtos/monitores/acer-monitor-23-6-gamer-fhd-curvo-ed242qr-freesync/17481/

I apologize that the links aren't in english, i couldnt not find them, but since specs are probably clear, it should be understandable.

question is, one seem to have better refresh rates, the other is curved, wich i've read around that is more immersive and better in gaming, also there's claims that 1ms to 4ms has no difference but some others says that there is...

any opinions? I'd be very thankful