Transferring Windows 10 to an SSD

Clintano

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
I currently have a 1TB Hard Drive, but I am looking to upgrade to an SSD, not too sure on the size but probably a 256gb or 512gb one. Im just wondering how I would go about uninstalling Windows 10 on the hard drive and re-installing it on the SSD. If i am able to migrate it onto the ssd that would be fine. Im fine with re-installing windows I would just want to make sure it would be on the ssd and still have all downloaded stuff on hard drive and things like that. Any help would be appreciated on how to go about this.

If you do a clean install on the ssd, do not have the old hard drive connected.
Otherwise, windows will try to put some hidden recovery partitions on it, and you will never be able to boot without the hard drive.
Later you can reattach the hard drive and your data files will be available. You can delete the old windows folders.
Your apps will need to be reinstalled since you have a new and empty registry.
You can change the default download target drive in windows settings.

If you buy a Samsung ssd that is large enough to hold the used contents of the hard drive, there is a simple solution.
Use the Samsung ssd migration app to move your windows C drive to the new ssd and boot from it. Done.
You can exclude large data folders from the move if you need to.

With the new lower prices of ssd devices, why not plan on putting all on the ssd for better performance?
Keep the hdd for large sequential files such as videos and for backup.

Use Macrium Reflect https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree to clone the HDD to the SSD. After it is cloned you will have to go into the bios and change your boot order to have the SSD be the main boot drive. Assuming your HDD doesn't use more space on it than the SSD you should have all the files that you had before. At that point you should just be able to format the HDD and you will have a dual drive setup. I would suggest that you move your downloaded files, music, etc... back to HDD to keep the SSD free for programs.

TRENDING THREADS