PC crashes after gaming for five minutes. Driver issue?

mavsynchroid

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Hey guys, just had a problem so I posted a thread a second ago, and of course right after I posted it, I fixed the problem (temporarily). This time I'm posting about a BIG problem, a problem that seems to be causing all the other problems on my PC.

It seems to happen every time I start playing certain games. After like 5 minutes, the PC will suddenly get a BSOD and restart. I checked in event viewer, and while I don't know what a lot of the errors mean, I did find a warning that goes like this...

"The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."

It seems to happen every time before my pc crashes. This warning appeared about 20 seconds later.

"Name resolution for the name s.acxiomapac.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

Then, the crash happens, I think. There's an error that comes next.

"The previous system shutdown at 11:02:19 AM on ‎8/‎21/‎2018 was unexpected."

Then a CRITICAL error that says..

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

In the details of this error, which is called Event 41, Kernel-Power, it says...

EventData

BugcheckCode 30
BugcheckParameter1 0xffffffffc0000005
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff800d2cbb6c1
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0xffffffffffffffff
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0

Honestly, I'm not sure if any of this is of any help to you. If it helps, I was playing this game for hours the other night without issues. I also noticed a lot of stuttering and odd loading this time right before the crash. People keep saying it might have to do with drivers, but for the life of me I can't figure out which one. It only seems to happen when I'm playing games. I did however recently update my Nvidia driver.. Damn, I can't remember if I updated it AFTER playing the games with no problems, or before.. I think I updated it before, so I'm pretty sure I had it when I was playing without issues. This also isn't the only game that it happened during. It happened while I was playing Total War warhammer 2 as well. The game I'm playing now is Resident Evil 7. Weird thing is, there are A LOT of games that I play where it DOESN'T happen.

Someone please help me. This is a crippling problem for a gaming nerd like me!!

EDIT: I should add the information that the previous problem I just had was my PC getting a driver verifier loop BSOD. Had to disable driver verifier to boot into windows.

EDIT 2: Should also add that my PC can run all these games absolutely fine. It has more than enough power. When it's not acting wacky like this, all these games run as smooth as butter on high/max graphics.

EDIT 3: Did this double post? I didn't do anything, but i see it twice in the forum.

mavsynchroid

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Sorry, I was at work. I'm not sure how much info you'd like, but here's the basic stuff.

Mobo - Tomahawk b350
Gfx card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
GPU - Ryzen 5 1600 six-core
Ram - 16GB (not sure how to figure out what the actual brand is)
OS - Windows 10 64-bit

Direct x 12 btw (when did we get to 12?...)

I have a fairly new monitor, but half of the reason I got this monitor was because I was having this problem already, so I highly doubt it's culprit.

What other info would be helpful?

mavsynchroid

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
I just reinstalled my video card drivers. I'll do the chipset next.

One extremely weird thing i just noticed might be a clue of sorts. I use Splashtop Remote 2 on my android phone so I can remote view my PC while, for example, watching something on it but going out to have a cigarette.

Anyway, i noticed that the first time i connect to my pc using it, the PC screen flashes black, as if changing resolution, then goes back to normal. Weird thing is, it only does it once. Every other time I connect to the PC, the screen doesn't flash at all. That is, until I restart the PC. Again, the first time i connect it flashes black although it doesn't change resolution.

I've set the settings within Splashtop remote 2 to be the same resolution as my pc, so it's very odd that it even flashes at all, especially only the first time.

I'm trying to figure out if this is why the games cause a BSOD sometimes and not other times. To be honest, i haven't used splashtop in a good while, and i also haven't had any issues on my PC in a good while. The time i started using it again and the time my pc started acting up seem to match.

A while ago, before a certain splashtop update, it never flashed at all. This is when i had an older monitor that didn't really mesh well with my newly built PC. After the update, it would flash all the time, sometimes even causing my PC to reboot when i tried connecting.

I always thought it was a PC problem that influenced splashtop. Now I'm starting to wonder if it was splashtop all along. I'll stay away from using it and see if there's any difference. Almost hope this is causing the problem. Although I'm not sure why it would.