Random BSOD's with Crash Address ntoskrnl.exe - Help Please!!!

Aug 21, 2018
Hello everyone, I have reached out to MS on this one and all they did was to set the memory.dmp file to collect date for "the next time it crashes". This is not good enough as I have systems out there which may radomly BSOD on the job. Here is the log file of what was reported:

Dump File: 080318 7437-01.dmp
Crash Time: 8/2/2018 12:25:57 PM
Bug Check String: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Bug Check Code: Ox00000050
Parameter 1: ffff8542'80000000
Parameter 2: 00000000'00000000
Parameter 3: 00000000'00000000
Parameter 4: 00000000'00000006
Caused By Driver: ntoskmI.exe
Caused By Address: ntoskrnl.exe+1756e0
File Description: NT Kernel & System
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows@ Operating System
Company: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 6.1.7601.18409 (win7sp1 gdr.140303-2144) Processor: x64
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+1756e0 Stack Address 1:
Stack Address 2:
Stack Address 3: Computer Name:
Full Path: C:\Windows\Minidump\080318-7437-01.dmp Processors Count: 4
Major Version: 15
Minor Version: 16299
Dump File Size: 441,772
Dump File Time: 8/3/2018 7:08:10 AM

Does anyone have any ideas?

Solution
One way to flush out a bad driver - I just don't like it was it can also cause boot loops. To counter that, search cortana for System restore and use the button in the pop up to create a system restore point (Its bottom button called Create)

Also, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (unless you have it already) - this is a handy boot drive and we can use it to break the boot loop and run system restore. Hopefully its not needed but its a precaution

try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Once it bsod, upload the minidump file...

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

page faults are normally caused by drivers.

can you go to C:\Windows\Minidump,
copy the minidump files to another folder,
upload copy from new folder to a file sharing web site and share the link here.

I will get someone to convert file into a readable form and we will see what problem is :)

Aug 21, 2018
Hello Colif,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this.

Here is the link to the dump file as you requested and let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,

Jose

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VVdxHq9SUyYbIrbf40rmGRKNIdkcWwGS/view?usp=sharing

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/YV9U.html

File: 080318-7437-01.dmp (Aug 2 2018 - 12:25:57)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

BIOS information was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean you are using an outdated BIOS. Consider looking for updates. Note: Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard is this? The BIOS isn't telling us a lot about whats onboard. An old bios may cause conflicts with newer drivers. Windows 10 version 16299 is 1 version behind current

Drivers running at time
Sep 13 2016 iaStorA.sys Intel SATA Storage Device RAID Controller
Sep 22 2017 dump_PGPwdeDumpFilter.sys PGP WDE Dump Filter driver
Sep 22 2017 PGPfsfd.sys PGP FSFD driver - PGP Desktop (Symantec Corporation)
Sep 22 2017 PGPsdk.sys PGP Software Development Kit NT driver (Symantec Corporation)
Sep 22 2017 PGPwded.sys PGP WDE driver (Symantec Corporation)
Sep 22 2017 Pgpwdefs.sys PGP WDE XP/Vista file system filter driver (Symantec Corporation)
Sep 29 2017 mfedisk.sys McAfee Disk Filter Driver (McAfee, Inc.)
Sep 29 2017 mfehidk.sys Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver (McAfee, Inc.) https://www.mcafee.com/
Sep 29 2017 mfenlfk.sys McAfee NDIS Light Filter driver (McAfee, Inc.)
Sep 29 2017 mfewfpk.sys Anti-Virus Mini-Firewall driver (McAfee, Inc.) http://support.mcafee.com/
Jan 26 2018 ctxusbm.sys Citrix USB Filter Driver https://www.citrix.com

Nothing that looks old (normal cause of bsod) though PGP WDE XP/Vista file system filter driver (Symantec Corporation) seems out of place on a Win 10 system (its probably okay but description makes it sound like its for XP/Vista)

It seems odd to me that there is no lan driver running
Having MAcafee and Symantec on same PC could cause conflicts as well.

Aug 21, 2018
Hello Colif,

Thanks again for all this information. So, first off, I am providing a link to the .txt file I got from the toughbooks System Info (Win10). It should provide details about the hardware I am using. If it does not, please let me know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m8jUe6WTgZAelQlJcWU7V1hR__WDVqBD/view?usp=sharing

You are also correct that you found AV and PGP. So we use Symantec PGP whole disk encryption as we have for the last 7 years here. However, this is our first time with Windows 10 so I do not know if that is the culprit. However, we are also using the Win 10 compatible McCafee AV client 8.8.0.1906, with agent 5.0.4.470 for the first time as well. Perhaps they are no working well together? I was hoping that this was the case as we had to wait on the AV company for this version and just maybe its not ready for enterprise.

Regarding the BIOS, I checked and it is one version behind only though I have since upgraded it. The only issue is that the BSOD occurs very randomly but I have had 5 so far. This means that it is only a matter of time before I get a call about another one. I still have an open ticket with MS but all they did for me was increase my page file to 16660 and made it so that it captures a full memory dump the next time it crashes. So until then, I have to wait it out.

If you could find anything at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jose

Colif

Win 11 Master
One way to flush out a bad driver - I just don't like it was it can also cause boot loops. To counter that, search cortana for System restore and use the button in the pop up to create a system restore point (Its bottom button called Create)

Also, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (unless you have it already) - this is a handy boot drive and we can use it to break the boot loop and run system restore. Hopefully its not needed but its a precaution

try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Once it bsod, upload the minidump file and we see what it shows us.

The instructions to stop it looping are listed below
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick the restore point you created before starting driver verifer and PC should reload those settings and boot normally.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS