Will using motherboard graphics for my second monitor reduce the fps on my main monitor?

Mattoss

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
As the title says,

I have my main monitor connected to my 1060 but I cant connect my VGA only second monitor to it because the 1060 doesnt have a vga input.

I can use my second monitor on the motherboard graphics just fine but theres a bit of fps loss when playing games on main monitor compared to when the second monitor isnt plugged in.

So my question is

Is it normal to experience fps loss when using a second monitor or is it because the second monitor is using the motherboard graphics?

Thanks, Matt.

Solution
No, it won't. Not to any measurable degree anyhow. Unless your CPU is very weak, and cannot render the game frames on your active gaming monitor and the very, very few that will be necessary on your motherboard output, you will not have any issues. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen this be an issue even with 4 core FX or dual core Pentium systems to the extent that if it didn't already have this issue, it wouldn't be any worse.

Make sure that your motherboard bios is up to date. Also, make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed for both your GPU card AND your CPU integrated graphics.

What are you full system specs including CPU, motherboard, power supply, memory and CPU cooler?
No, it won't. Not to any measurable degree anyhow. Unless your CPU is very weak, and cannot render the game frames on your active gaming monitor and the very, very few that will be necessary on your motherboard output, you will not have any issues. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen this be an issue even with 4 core FX or dual core Pentium systems to the extent that if it didn't already have this issue, it wouldn't be any worse.

Make sure that your motherboard bios is up to date. Also, make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed for both your GPU card AND your CPU integrated graphics.

What are you full system specs including CPU, motherboard, power supply, memory and CPU cooler?

Solution

Mattoss

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

Yeah I didn't think it would be too bad just wanted to double check.

CPU: i7-4770 3.4ghz
CPU Fan: stock intell fan
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
PSU: some cheap 500w

This could be part of your problem. Running both onboard and discrete graphics pulls a lot more power than only one or the other.

Also, how much memory (RAM) do you have installed?

What kind of storage drives are in use?