Old SSD runs windows 7 want it to run 10 on new pc without losing any data

robbie09

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Ok so on my old pc i had windows 7. Ive built my new pc and dont want to lose any data from old pc (emails documents exct). With my new PC i cant boot with the Drive as it doesn't have correct drivers exct.
I have a new windows 10 licence key as my previous was OEM. My question is whats the best way to get windows 10 on new pc without losing data? Do i have to download windows on a separate Drive run pc on that then plug in old one? Is there a way of upgrading on my old pc to new windows 10 then switching it to new pc?
Thanks for your time,
Robbie

Solution

No.
The OS needs to be installed on the drive, while that drive is in the PC where it will live.
Install on PC X and move to PC Y may fail completely

USAFRet

Titan

Either back up ALL data you wish to keep on some other drive.
Install Win 10 on this new drive and then copy the data back.
OR
Install Win 10 on a new drive, plug in the old one, and copy your personal data over.
This does not include applications, just your personal data files.

robbie09

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

Ok will do this thanks. Can i download windows 10 onto a separate clean drive on my current pc then swap that over to new pc and run windows off that?

USAFRet

Titan

No.
The OS needs to be installed on the drive, while that drive is in the PC where it will live.
Install on PC X and move to PC Y may fail completely

Solution

robbie09

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

Ok am just following windows instructions now (downloading on memory stick) thanks for the help!

USAFRet

Titan

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10