How to restore icons in windows 10?

zephyrcreater

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
So what happened was I only had a 250gb drive starting out when i first built my pc and i put all my files on that. Then i got my 1tb drive and copied all the files from my c drive to my a drive. Now alot of my icons are just blank white sqaures. How do i fix this? Ive tried deleting my icon cache but none of that does anything.

Solution
OK. Edit each shortcut and click change icon. Browse to the folder where the software is installed and select the executable. You can also browse to C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll. This file contains build-in icons

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
You see white squares because you moved program files (software) and the shortcuts are broken. You need to move the files back to the 250GB drive and clone it onto the larger drive using software from Western Digital, Seagate, etc.

zephyrcreater

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
the shortcuts are not broken, they work fine. its just the icons and nothing should affect the icons cuz i didnt move the c:/windows to a:/windows.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
OK. Edit each shortcut and click change icon. Browse to the folder where the software is installed and select the executable. You can also browse to C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll. This file contains build-in icons

Solution