Computer Keeps Crashing!

Aug 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm new to this board, I'd just like to have a moment to say hello.

I've been having this issue where my computer would completely crash every 20-30 minutes or so and this all started last night. I think a more detailed term to elaborate is that its deadlocking. I wouldn't be able to even prompt the NUM LOCK or CAPS LOCK light by pressing it when crashed. My mouse would be able to move across the screen. The cursor is there and moving but clicking anything doesn't do anything.

Let's say if I were watching a video on Youtube. The video itself would stop loading and if I were to click or press anything it would remain at a complete stand still. If I clicked the Window's icon, it would load as if explorer.exe crashed. The only way for me to get out of this situation would be to preform a hard reset. I fear that if this on going event continues to occur, I might fry something.

My temperatures seem to be okay. Everything on is sitting @ 24-40C.

So here I am, asking you lovely people for a hand in aid. I have spent the last few hours using anti-virus' and other methods and I seem to be out of luck.

My specs are:
Motherboard: MSI Z270-A Pro
Processor: Intel i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz
Video Card: Geforce 770 GTX
RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 16 GB DDR4
Power Supply: Corsair CX600M

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Upon opening Event Viewer. Here are the events listed under "Critical"

Event 41, Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event 108, AESMService
AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup

Solution

Memtest86 does not need an operating system, it is more or less a self-contained system which lives only in RAM until rebooted. It simply exercises writing to and reading from RAM in various patterns. There is no chance that any issue of any existing operating system gets in the way since it is its own operating system (until you reboot).

Many commercial companies use this to burn in new computers before shipping (at least the reputable ones). I...
Aug 23, 2018

i really want to figure out what the root of the problem is before i reformat. but i will look into this thanks

Aug 23, 2018

may i ask what exactly memtest86 does?

Aug 23, 2018
So I'm back with an update. Out of the, say, 20-40 times that the computer has crashed. I've never gotten any BSODs. I just received one and this is what it said (with no error code or anything):
"SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

Also when in safe mode, the crashing doesn't seem to happen. Perhaps this is a software/driver issue?

Memtest86 does not need an operating system, it is more or less a self-contained system which lives only in RAM until rebooted. It simply exercises writing to and reading from RAM in various patterns. There is no chance that any issue of any existing operating system gets in the way since it is its own operating system (until you reboot).

Many commercial companies use this to burn in new computers before shipping (at least the reputable ones). I run this myself on any new build at least overnight. The reason for running this overnight (or even for three days in critical systems during burn in) is that marginal RAM might pass some of the time, and heating/cooling patterns might not let an issue show up every time. Some memory errors can cause a system to suddenly reboot, or to crash and burn, or even to corrupt your disk. This application is designed to see if the memory is doing exactly as it should since it knows what every memory write is and validates by reading it back.

A memory failure listed as occurring in random addresses might be a power supply issue or outside hardware. A memory failure hitting a particular address each time indicates the RAM stick itself is bad. Memtest86 validates if basic memory operation (hardware) an be blamed for issues (and if it passes, then you are probably looking for software issues).

Run this and it won't install anything, it is temporary. You'll know after one night if basic operation is sound and be able to narrow down the issue.

Solution