Win10 USB installation gets stuck in a reboot loop.

Sokonomi

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
When I try installing windows 10 onto my Samsung Q310 laptop, it keeps getting stuck in a reboot cycle.

What I did :
1. Grabbed the USB boottool from microsoft and configured a 32gb flashdrive with x32 & 64bit.
2. Booted off the flashdrive and let it do its thing until the first prompt.
3. Selected language settings and hit "install now".
4. Selected "I don't have a product key" (didnt wanna buy one until im sure it runs).
5. Selected "Windows 10 Pro N" ('N' has less bloat apps apparently)
6. Chose custom Install : Gave it an entire un-allocated disk to work with.
7. Waited for it to say it was about to reboot; yanked the USB stick and let it.
8. After reboot, it shows the blue icon with a load circle underneath,reboots again.
9. 3rd reboot, it starts services and gets devices ready, reboots when its at 57%.
10. After reboot it just shows the blue logo with load circle again, reboots after about 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10..

I cant even get into safe mode by spamming F8.

Anyone know what could be going on, and what I could do to remedy this?
Maybe I need to reload drivers somehow?

Hi

Did you choose 32 or 64 bit Windows?
How much ram in laptop?
No point in going for 64 bit unless 4GB or more

What is hard disk size ?

What was previous windows version?

Was system working correctly before re installation

Was hard disk in good condition?
Bad sectors or bad ram can prevent sucessful windows install?

For hardware diagnostic tools consider new Hirens PE project.
Ver 1.01. (Not old 1.52 which is many years old)

Will include memtest86 for testing ram and diagnostics for hard disk and means of clearing begining of hard disk so next install looks like a clean install on a new hard drive

Regards
Mike Barnes

mgallo848

Commendable
In step 7, do not remove the USB drive at all. I would leave it in until the process is 100% complete. That's the way I've done every OS install since Windows 95 and never came across the error you're seeing. (unless it was a physical hardware issue)

Sokonomi

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011

64 bits, 4Gb of RAM, wont I lose some important CPU features if I went x32?

320Gb.

Windows 7, which ran great. Samsung is offering windows 10 drivers though, so I assume it should be possible, somehow.

Yes, though it became severely cluttered because someone borrowed it for a while, which led me to just wipe it and start over.

S.M.A.R.T. says its healthy, memtest86+ ran 4 cycles and came back clean.

This will just automatically push it into the first installation step again.

Sokonomi

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Well it does. It lands on a menu that lets me choose 32 or 64bit installation, and if left unattended it will default to 64bit automatically.

Sokonomi

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I have refined the source of the problem a little, it seems to only go into a loop when I attempt to install 64 bit. Installing it as x86 seems to power through no problem at all, though it does seem like I lose some RAM? Says 4gb available but only 3 used. I cant remember since its been so long, but is that an x86 limitation?