silly question about modems.

Exphio

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Probably a stupid question, but I'm looking to upgrade my internet and I was told that I need to upgrade my arris sb6141 to a docsis3.0 16x4 modem. Can I grab a higher quality 32x8 modem instead to future proof a bit or is there some difference between the 16x4 and 32x8 that would stop that?

Exphio

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
okay, awesome. I made sure to ask the support person I was talking to about supported modems. I was told they support any model, as long as its able to hit the speeds needed.

I seriously doubt they support "any" modem. The ISP is really the only one that can update software on a modem so they don't want you buy some unknown brand that you bought out of china. Most support the ARRIS/motorola line but I know for example when the very latest docsis 3.1 devices came on the market a number of the ISP did not support them. They had to make a software patch to their equipment and it took them a while to get it rolled out to all their markets.

Do not trust what some support guy told you. All ISP have a list of supported equipment. Many times it is not even a single list because they have different equipment in different areas of the country. These ISP have been buying each other for years and they have not fully standardized their equipment.