Win 10, 80% ram usage in idle pc

Aug 27, 2018
Hello,
this problem started when I've installed win 10, with win 7 all was normal. My pc after 1 hour of working starts to slow down and when i look into the task manager I see every time 99% of ram usage. A few minutes ago i closed every program i was using just to see want process was so ra hungry... and i cannot believe: my pc in idle is 80% ram usage. I can resolve just restarting my pc, like every time it happens, but I'm sick, I want to resolve this annoying problem with win 10.

UPDATE
I saw into the processes tab this "Service Host: xxx" there are a lot of them, like 50 processes some of them are 40 mB heavy.

Please give my help, my head is exploding.

PC SPECS
16 gB ram ddr3
intel i5 4690K

Solution
Looks at motherboard specs, wonders if they use Killer Ethernet... I hate being right. Killer Ethernet drivers can cause Memory leaks, try installing the latest from here - https://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/category/other-downloads

if that doesn't help, you can download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom...

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard do you have? Was this a clean install of Win 10 or an upgrade from Win 7? Have you checked you have latest motherboard drivers?

It could be a memory leak - these can be caused by old drivers, once I know what motherboard you have I can go see what is likely to be installed.

The number of service hosts hase increased in win 10 but its due to a change win 10 makes. In previous versions of windows Services have been grouped into categories and several services would share 1 host. This made working out what problem is difficult. Due to people having more ram now, Win has split those groups up so most services have their own host now. The biggest group is 4 services now, before it was something like 12 or more.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Looks at motherboard specs, wonders if they use Killer Ethernet... I hate being right. Killer Ethernet drivers can cause Memory leaks, try installing the latest from here - https://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/category/other-downloads

if that doesn't help, you can download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

Memory leaks are caused by a program or driver requesting memory and not releasing it once its finished, in some cases it keeps asking for more and more to point windows has no more to give and you get out of memory errors. Win 10 sees Memory as more than just ram, it also includes the Page file.

Solution
Aug 27, 2018
Thanks, after two days, no more problems!! It was the killer ethernet driver... I didn't trust that interface since I've installed the first drivers. Thank you, thank you very much!