Accessing a specific directory causes disk usage spike to 100% for few seconds. utorrent to be blamed?

Aug 27, 2018
I'm Windows 10 user with Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164, 2TB HDD.

Recently I've been experiencing a weird behavior on my hard disk where its usage occasionally spikes to 100% with this small, high-pitch, short, fading sound. It sounds as if a disk tries to spin but fails after a few seconds.

At first, I suspected a bad sector. 100% disk usage is an indicator that my HDD is failing so I ran a bad sector check for my drive but the test didn't find any corruption.

However, I've recently discovered a pattern of spikes: Every time I access a specific directory after a long break, it spikes (with the sound I described) for a few seconds.

What makes me worry is that the directory is actually an incoming directory for my utorrent. Some people say utorrent is bad for HDD health because of its nature of constant reading/writing.

I used to download 5~10 files every two days, which doesn't seem so heavy to me, but recently stopped downloading at all as I was worried about my HDD data loss.

I also noticed that the media I downloaded from utorrent DID hang at some point, which makes me worry more about bad sector.

So, why is this happening? Is my HDD about to fail? Is utorrent really the cause of HDD failure? I let go of my 1TB WD HDD because it had too many bad sectors and I downloaded utorrent on that HDD back then.

OR is it just Seagate making a crappy HDD and I'm not the only one with extremely vulnerable HDD?