Add RAM, Upgrade RAM, or Upgrade Motherboard and RAM

TomcaT112

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
I know this is a subjective question at heart, but I'm looking for opinions.

Read the bold for tl;dr

My current system is this:

• - CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4GHz
    - Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
    - Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866
    - Hard Drives: 2TB HDD 512GB SSD (make is irrelevant for the topic)
    - GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    - Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+
    - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Full Tower
    - As well as 2x 27in 4K monitors.
My main use is for development and production. Frequent programs used (often at the same time) are Unreal Engine 4, Unity 2018, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya. With a healthy amount of other smaller programs running in the background, like chrome windows, Spotify, and image capture software. I also play games, but that's more of a graphics card issue.

Of note is that I want to move down to a mid sized tower for space reasons. At the current moment, my system which was built about 4 years ago and hasn't changed since, is lacking in performance. When using NLE or animation software like Maya, After Effects and Premiere are lagging to edit, and take a while to render. I find I get stuttering in game engine software and photoshop, etc.

All this to say, I am currently balancing short term affordability with long term future proofing, and what is worth doing. So I am hoping some of you may have advice. I see there being 4 choices of upgrade:

• 1) Add another 16GB (2x8) of the HyperX Fury DDR3-1866 RAM to boost render and multitasking speeds. Easy peasy, slap it in the 2 empty RAM card slots and on with my life I go.

2) Replace the current 16GB, with 32GB (4x8) DDR3-2400 RAM to really boost the performance, upgrading the speed of the RAM in the process. Still easy, just pricier. Is that extra speed really worth it though?

3) Replace the whole motherboard with something more modern, that accepts 32GB DDR4 RAM and get 2400-3200 speed RAM to top that all off. That bumps the speed up tremendously for multitasking, rendering, and in software performance.

4) Just get a new PC - upgrade it all, get new motherboard, better processor, DDR4 RAM, new case, and deal with the graphics card when it doesn't cost a small fortune to get one.
So what do you think? Is just adding RAM even going to make much difference? Is the problem even really the RAM? I believe it is, the 4790 hasn't let me down yet, but that might be it as well.

Let me know your thoughts, cheers.

Adding extra memory is not guaranteed to be compatible with existing memory. Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you choose to make are done on a "do it yourself" compatibility testing basis with no guarantees, what you call an upgrade.

TomcaT112

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014

I'm not sure about temperature but it doesn't kick off a lot of heat that I can feel. And it's only really been a problem as the software has updated. When I got it things were buttery smooth, but in the last year or so, it's started to become a chore to work with.

I would make sure to add the same memory I currently have (the HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866)

"When using NLE or animation software like Maya, After Effects and Premiere are lagging to edit, and take a while to render."
Sounds like the CPU is just plain running out of steam when running all that software, try checking the CPU and RAM usage: HWInfo64 can monitor it all although Task Manager will give you an excellent snapshot of what's going on as well.

A full new system ( CPU/MB/RAM/case) isn't going to come particularly cheap, especially with memory prices still so high and with so much going on at once you're likely to be in the 12-16 core CPU area here.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Also, 4 modules typically run slower than 2 modules in 2-memory-channel systems (2-DIMMs-per-channel imposes more restrictions on the modules than 1-DIMM-per-channel). Your DDR3-1866 modules might not actually run at 1866 when you have 4 modules installed. The 4-module DDR3-2400 kit is designed to run at 2400 with all 4 modules installed.

Upgrading to DDR4 would also mean upgrading to a new CPU, which would also mean getting more cores and support for up to 64GB of RAM - but would also cost significantly more. Spending a lot more would get you support for up to 128GB of RAM. ON that note, AMD just slashed prices on their 1st-gen Threadripper CPUs. AMD tends to support motherboard sockets for much longer than Intel, so chances are good that if you bought now you could upgrade to a significantly-more-powerful CPU in 3 years' time.

TomcaT112

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014

I see what you are saying, and that makes a lot of sense. Seems like the jump to DDR4 is more of a revamp than just changing motherboards.

^ Yep, you'll need to swap the entire CPUMB/RAM/case.

A multi tasking monster from AMD:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor ($474.33 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard ($283.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1235.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-28 14:52 EDT-0400

A little more palatable from Intel:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.69 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($290.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $905.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-28 14:59 EDT-0400

TomcaT112

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
Thanks everyone for your help and advice!

I've decided to just upgrade what I have, I think there is still a good life ahead for my processor/motherboard.

Going for the G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400, in my current board and CPU.
Maybe I'll even use the 'spare' cash to save for a new GPU or pick up a second SSD for project work.