2nd monitor no signal - VGA works but DVI won't. 1st monitor trough DisplayPort.

Aug 29, 2018
Hi Tom's Hardware community, I'm new in the Forum and kindly want your help.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPadx270 with Windows 10 Pro and 2 LENOVO monitors with this issue:

Laptop connected in a docking station.
Monitor 1 connected through DisplayPort (Works fine)
Monitor 2 connected through DVI (Doesn't work)
When Monitor 2 is connected through VGA it works fine AND
When I disconnect DisplayPort on Monitor 1, Monitor 2 VGA works fine.

The weird thing is the last part, when DVI and DisplayPort are connected, I receive signal from DisplayPort but not from DVI. But when DisplayPort is disconnected, DVI monitor gets signal

Any reason? I recently updated drivers.

Solution
Hope this helps, but it most likely isn't the drivers that are the problem. I don't have a certain answer, but from what you're saying, it sounds like even though they're 2 ports, they probably are connected to the same one thing. What I mean is, sometimes, motherboards don't have enough space, I'm guessing, to be able to put two separate parts to send output signals. So they make one of them, with 2 ports, but if you use one, the other will no work, because it is already sending to one port. Don't know if this will help. :D
Aug 29, 2018

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
DAC Type Internal
Device Type Full Display Device
Memory 8239 MB
VRAM 128 MB
Display Mode 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
HDR: Not Supported

schooltime7634

Prominent
Sep 24, 2018
Hope this helps, but it most likely isn't the drivers that are the problem. I don't have a certain answer, but from what you're saying, it sounds like even though they're 2 ports, they probably are connected to the same one thing. What I mean is, sometimes, motherboards don't have enough space, I'm guessing, to be able to put two separate parts to send output signals. So they make one of them, with 2 ports, but if you use one, the other will no work, because it is already sending to one port. Don't know if this will help. :D

Solution