Problems installing Win10

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
My mom has an Asus X550CA Laptop originally came with Windows 8. Updated it to 8.1 eventually. It's been having a lot of issues lately so she brought it to me. It'd lock up trying to log in and even if I managed to get to the desktop, everything was unresponsive. I convinced her to let me upgrade it to 10, which has had far fewer problems in my opinion.

Attempted to installed from DVD (legit store copy) and at some point during the installation I'd get an error like:
"Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file"
Or other times I'd see this one:
"windows could not set the offline locale information error code 0x80fe0000"

The current error I have when trying to boot is 0xc000021a

I tried a USB drive with an image created from Microsoft's creation tool and ran into similar issues. Eventually, after trying a dozen times, it looked like it finished installing everything and was finalizing. But I never make it to the account creation part, I get stuck in an infinite reboot.

I've updated the bios, reformatted the drive multiple times, even changing the drive to MBR and letting the installation reconfigure it to GPT. Thinking maybe it's an EFI thing I checked my settings and turned on legacy support (which asus calls something weird and took forever to find in the crappy bios) but it hasn't changed my lack of success.

I then looked to google for answers. I tried the DISM command that many sites suggested, no luck. I ran chkdsk which did bring up numerous corrections. And ran SFC as well. Only solutions I haven't tried were the ones that required I actually be in windows, which obviously I can't do. And I have no option to try safe mode either. (Does 10 even have a safe mode?)

Only other thing I can think of is possiblly a bad harddrive (mechanical sata). I can't imagine two different legit copies of windows both have bad images.

Solution
I'd agree a bad HDD is a strong likelihood. You can use this tool to test the drive

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Use the bootable version and run it from the flash drive.

- as an aside Win 10 does have a safe mode, though it's not quite as accessible due to the desire to boot faster. The old F8 command hasn't been useful since Win 8 but there's a way to reboot from Normal mode to safe mode (hold down shift while clicking reboot) or if the PC fails to boot 3 times consecutively you'll get the same menu of troubleshooting options with "startup settings" buried in it.
I'd agree a bad HDD is a strong likelihood. You can use this tool to test the drive

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Use the bootable version and run it from the flash drive.

- as an aside Win 10 does have a safe mode, though it's not quite as accessible due to the desire to boot faster. The old F8 command hasn't been useful since Win 8 but there's a way to reboot from Normal mode to safe mode (hold down shift while clicking reboot) or if the PC fails to boot 3 times consecutively you'll get the same menu of troubleshooting options with "startup settings" buried in it.

Solution

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Looks like that was it. I didn't run seatools, don't trust seagate's software its garbage. But I had a spare drive and I've actually reached the profile setup smoothly this time. I just wish the setup process would stop freaking talking to me! I don't recall it doing this when I installed Pro, or forcing me to create a microsoft account.