Moving all programs except OS to an "ark" ssd, and reinstalling Win 10

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I was looking at buying a 1Tb M.2 ssd to put all of my music production programs (the libraries are massive) and some games on, and basically everything application wise, and leave the current ssd to just hold the windows OS in case I need to do a clean install.

I am wondering if I set it up this way, will I be able to wipe the OS ssd and do a reinstall without having it affect the 1Tb "ark"? That seems too easy.. would the applications on the ark be able to function normally and interact with the new install of WIndows? Or is that just asking for a lot of errors? Or if I move the Ark ssd to a new build with a fresh Win10 can all the applications function still? Or are they more intrinsically tied into the OS on which they are originally installed, even if it is the same OS but a new install?

Currently I just make a disk image every couple of months but I just like the neatness of having things compartmentalized and the option to move the goods to a new ship if need be; but am not sure if it would cause more trouble than optimization.

Solution
You probably wouldn't be able to WIPE the OS drive, because most programs require Windows registry entries to work. When you wipe the OS you wipe the registry. Your best bet is to setup everything then do a disk image of the C: drive. That could be restored and it would include the registry which has the necessary links to the "ark".

kanewolf

Titan
You probably wouldn't be able to WIPE the OS drive, because most programs require Windows registry entries to work. When you wipe the OS you wipe the registry. Your best bet is to setup everything then do a disk image of the C: drive. That could be restored and it would include the registry which has the necessary links to the "ark".

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Darn, that is what I suspected. Is there any advantages in having things split that way? I think I've read that it can be faster to have games on a different drive than the OS, I figured it would work the same for massive FlStudio projects too.