Intel & AMD Processor Hierarchy (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder who paid Tom's to do this article, Intel or AMD or both. This is the new reality of pay to play at Tom's. Since they left out all the Ryzen 2000 series models in the chart like the Ryzen 5 2600X I guess Intel paid more.

InvalidError

Titan

Left out? The Ryzen 2600X and 2700X are 5th and 6th on the list respectively.

Aug 25, 2018
Nod long time ago You named Ryzen 2700X with several first places, now magically 8700K took it with 3-4 more Intel models.

I call it bias and envelope. You start to actually deny yourself, Tom's Hardware.

Aug 25, 2018
Also, Why Ryzen loose in all application score to 8700k, if almost everyone on net call this CPU one of best in its class for content creators?

heh?

Disclosure full testing methodology, screens of benchmarks, used programs, literally everything on a silver plate. That will be better for your reputation.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
This pricing on the Threadripper 2990WX is wrong... also, how is there TDP, core count, etc. info for the Threadripper 2950X?

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I must not understand how the rankings work, because if we look only at the two scores, the TR 2950X should be above the 8700K (194 points being higher than 170.4). But it's in 13th position ?

Rexer

Distinguished
According to the list, I have one of the least and best, respectively. I still use a i7 920 Win 7 to surf and a 8700k to game. But I agree with you guys totally. I thought the Ryzen 2000 series was banging down the door. Whazup?

allawash

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

I understand where he's coming from, he doesn't realized the format changed. It got me the first time as well. I would just scroll down to the chart and skipped right over the new part showing the scores.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

I think it's pretty obvious they're ordered on the chart purely by their gaming score, although that clashes with the title of the article and the preceding paragraph's statement "We determined the order based on average gaming and application performance across our test suite." The article's title should be "Gaming CPUs ranked" or the chart should at least have a function that lets you sort by application score.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series aren't particularly fast compared to Intel's higher end CPUs. They have very good price/performance ratios compared to Intel, though, which is why they often get top recommendations. The reason this chart seems so "off" is because it only takes performance into account (gaming performance, at that). Price is listed on the side, but doesn't affect the order.

Aug 31, 2018
Let's put in the real world, if the only thing you do is game and surf the net and some basic stuff and have few perferals, then fine, intel wins the day.

But let's say you want to game, while your rig is streaming two 4k videos to separate rooms and you have 11 hard drives, a mouse, keyboard, blueray burning and something being printed on your printer. AMD is the new game in town, Threadripper CPU's all the way, 64 PCI-EXPRESS lanes of pure ton of fun hooked up and going down and all of it at the same time and still getting 100+FPS IN GAME.

I love my threadripper 1950x, best bang for the buck IMHO

Dan

If gaming is your bag, sort by the gaming score. If applications are your bag, sort by the application score and you'll find:
1) AMD Threadripper 2950X score 100
2) Intel Core i9-7980XE score 99.9
3) Threadripper 2990WX score 99.6
and so on...

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016

Pricing should be fixed now. Thanks.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Yes, the rankings are listed for games and applications separately, but aligned in order of gaming performance. That is because we do not have a feature to sort the two columns independently. However, you can compare the application scores to determine the rankings.

Whazzup is that intel CPUs don't come clocked at 4Ghz while all (a lot of) benches were done at same clocks and/or only benching one type of software,comparing everything at stock and running a wider variety of software paints a different picture.

Rexer

Distinguished

Yeah, I game and surf quite a bit. Work wise, I use a KVM unit more than a computer. There is a bench computer that I slaved a pair of HDD/SSD docks on. It's mostly used for bug cleaning, transfers/burning, update scans and data recovery etc.. It's a i7 3770k that's showing tendencies but that what I said last year. Lol. Keep replacing the bench with my old game rigs.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Right, so wouldn't that make the statement "We determined the order based on average gaming and application performance across our test suite" false, as I pointed out? You didn't determine the order based on both of those things; you determined it based on one of them. Even without a feature for re-sorting the list, you could have simply added the two scores together and based the order off of that, or used a weighted average if you think one is more important than the other.

Edit: I just refreshed the article and I see that it's been edited to say "We determined the order based on average gaming performance across our test suite, but we also include an application performance metric in the application score column." That makes a lot more sense, thanks!

pawinda

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
I take it from the results that, if you don't game or render video, etc., any of the top tier of AMD and Intel CPU's would be more than enough for MS Office, Web Browsing, and some Wordpress site development. Is that so?

Status
Not open for further replies.