Arctic Silver 5 results - dropped 14ºC

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Looks like you put a little too much on, but better results than starting. Which makes me think, either there was far too much stock paste on (is that the stock cooler that came with it, or was that one you installed?) or it was mounted poorly.

If you were to try this with different thermal pastes, I doubt you'd see more than 2-3C change if you were to ensure uniform coverage and mount techniques.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Depends on how old the card is. I did it on a 8800GTX, replaced the old pads and TIM with Ceramique (had to use blobs for the ram,) and its temps dropped by nearly 10C.

viio

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
It's a HD5750 I've had about 6 months, stock cooler. I'd agree there's probably too much on there but I just decided to leave it on.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

there is nothing outrages about it..most company's use junk TIM, all they care is average paste that's easy to apply and apply to much.I have to do the same after 5-6 months on my 5770 (used MX-2 with the same results),your temps should improve after 200 hours curing time

@ rubix_1011.."If you were to try this with different thermal pastes, I doubt you'd see more than 2-3C change"...have you been drinking today ?

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Most companies apply too much by convention. Applying too little can potentially cause an overheat. You can only apply so much before the heatsink spreads the paste away from the GPU, so theres absolutely no risk to applying too much.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, I'd definitely like to see a controlled test of 5-10 different TIM's all being used in a controlled setting on a card like this. With a GPU, simply replacing the factory paste (spackling putty) with 'anything' else will almost guarantee better results...as long as you apply it correctly.

My challenge: perform this exact test (I am pretty sure there is one for CPU/TIM tests somewhere...i've seen it...) but provide controlled applications, tests, benchmarks and results. I'd bet that at VERY MOST, any TIM will perform within no more than +/-5C from the rest (not including stock *gunk*).

SlapCat

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
@rubix1101 You'll most definitely see at least 8*C and up. I don't know what you did with your card, or where you got that opinion. Not trying to "attack" you lol :) It's just that I 've never seen AS-5 decrease temps less than 8*C - 10*C on any application. You are spot on that correct, precise, and patient application and re-mounting is critical. It's dropped my temps under full OC'd load by 11*C in the summer at least.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
if you see over 5c difference you had a problem to start with , too much paste or pads , no way a different paste will give more than 5c improvement if they were both applied properly