Can't get into windows 10 because of disk check (chkdsk) at startup

Sep 2, 2018
A couple of days ago, I was having an issue with my laptop (Sager) being slow. So, I tried a few possible solutions. I ran a virus scan with defender and a malware scan, but neither of those turned up anything. I also set up a disk check through cmd on startup (couldn't do it at that moment because the hdd was in use). Also went to check if my drivers needed to be updated through sdi-tool, and they did (they were very outdated). So, after waiting a few hours until they were done, I finally restarted my laptop. I left it for a little bit then came back to see it "scanning and repairing drive (C): 15% complete". I figured it would take a while, so I went to bed. When I woke up, it was still at 15%. When I tried a hard restart, instead of "scanning and repairing drive", it started "preparing automatic repair", "diagnosing the PC", "attempting repairs", and ultimately, it said "automatic repair couldn't repair you PC" and brought me to the Windows 10 boot manager (so now, every-time I restart the pc from boot manager, it does the "scanning and repairing" thing then it gets stuck at 15%; when I hard restart it, it does the "automatic repair" thing, fails, then brings me to the boot manager. In that order. Every single time).

So after restarting a few times, I tried starting the pc in safe mode, but when it restarts, it scans and repairs then gets stuck at 15%. I tried going into the cmd and using chkntfs /x c: to disable auto disk check, but that did nothing (scans and repairs, gets stuck). While I was on cmd, I ran a disk checkup (since the hdd seem to not be in use, I was able to run it through cmd). After that was done, it said that there was no issues with the disk. I tried canceling auto disk check using regedit through cmd, but that didn't work (scan and repairs). I tried system restore, but it said that there were no restore points that have been created (which is odd since sdi-tool automatically created one before updating the drivers and I'm pretty sure malwarebytes also created one before doing a deep scan). I even tried skipping the scanning and repairing process when it gives me the option before it starts (press any key to skip), but that does absolutely nothing. I even tried to extend the 8 second time before it starts the process through cmd (chkntfs /t), but that changed nothing. I read somewhere that a possible solution was to put the hard drive at the top of the boot priority list in BIOS, but when I went to do that, my hard drive didn't even show up on the list. This was really weird since I have no issue at starting a disk check through cmd and it still attempts to scan and repair C: and makes it to 15%.

The only thing I have not tried was reinstalling windows 10 ("Reset this PC"), but that one is truly a last resort since I currently don't have access to a external hard drive/flash drive large enough to back up all my files.

I apologize for the very long entry, but I figured the more details the better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If this happened to me, I'd restore from a recent full system backup I'd made to an external hard drive. Since you didn't do this, your only recourse is to attempt to recover your files to an external flash drive or hard drive, then do a clean install.

Sep 2, 2018

I figured this is probably what I'd have to do. I just wanted to make sure that I cover all other possible solutions before doing so.